Rods

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ChrisF

Rods

Post by ChrisF »

When I shoot I wipe for fouling control. Does anyone use a coated rod like a Dewey or Montana Extreme for pushing the bore pigs through?
GrumpyBear

Re: Rods

Post by GrumpyBear »

I have a Montana Extreme gold handle that I use to wipe my 40-65, but I am using the Remington squeegee system, with a wet patch.

Also have a long Tipton rod, got tired of busting fingers on the sight staffs. :D
BFD

Post by BFD »

I have used other rods, but Delrin rods rule when I'm on the mat and the clock. Actually, they rule just about all the time.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Sometimes I can't get the bore pig thru with my delrin rod due to flexing
BFD

Post by BFD »

.40 or .45? I bet .40.

Could it be that your rear washers are rolling over the back nut and wedging in the barrel? If so, a modification may be in order.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

40 70 SS, delrin rods, ez to drill and tap for jag. then drill a hole, and put on a wood handle. I ordered some rosewood handles on line and
they look and work great. two for the range, two for the bench. one with a bronze brush, use it for a wet patch run through.
I push one or two wet patches then a dry.
I make my own patches from a fabric store. rip, cut, use and discard. dirt cheap.

Ken
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

delrin if Im prone, tipton if Im sitting.......
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
ShelbyRuss

Post by ShelbyRuss »

Where do you guys get the delrin rods? Thanks. Russ
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I have two Delrin rods but they flex too much using my BACO WIPING METHOD so I have used a Dewey
bsnjsmith

Post by bsnjsmith »

https://www.zoro.com/delrin-rod-acetal- ... /G3403784/
This is what i use for .45cal with 2" round flannel patches. No jag or nuthin, just the rod.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Not quite sure how you bend a Delrin rod, unless you are grabbing it by the very end or handle, hold it closer to the chamber and shove it threw with short strokes.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

charlie young wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:23 pm Not quite sure how you bend a Delrin rod, unless you are grabbing it by the very end or handle, hold it closer to the chamber and shove it threw with short strokes.
:shock:
Charlie, did you fall and bump your head?
Or was it the pan lubing thing you'd quit over having to do :lol:
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Shadow 4...no its from years of washing those Arsenal patches with the dishes..Lead finally taking it's toll. Wife just sits in the chair mumbling, grandkids seem to be doing fair except where there hair is falling out. Me, I'm loading up for this weekend. Cleaning up all the ammo. Brooks Creedmoor, Lyman Postel and BACO Money Bullet, you know the one, cast at 25/1 that you can't hit a dang thing with. Oh, I'm bringing a slicker too, the way the forecast looks.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm beginning to wonder, after using most of the rods mentioned, if a plain ole straight grain hickory muzzle loading rod wouldn't work about as well as anything else.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

mdeland wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:26 pm I'm beginning to wonder, after using most of the rods mentioned, if a plain ole straight grain hickory muzzle loading rod wouldn't work about as well as anything else.
Damned rear sight folded down still seems to be in the way, so, appears some "flexibility" is in order, cept those using rollers, then a step stool is in order :lol:
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain