HOT barrel

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Dennis Armistead

Re: HOT barrel

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Here is a great trick that I use in Arizona for a hot barrel...open the action set in a rifle rack in the shade and grab another rifle :D When that rifle gets hot....repeat! Kidding aside, sounds like your light barrel is moving when hot. If it shoots a tight group when cool again, then you'll know.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

I would agree something is moving or bending, but I wouldn't suspect the barrel first. Is the bull as black and clear when you start to shoot as it was when the weather was cooler? Does the bull start out very black and distinct and then get gray and not as crisp? The problem could be mirage, either from the hot ground or a hot barrel, or a combination of both. If its mirage from the hot ground, try shooting early in the morning or as late in the evening as possible. If it's from a hot barrel Dennis's idea is good. Just buy another rifle just like the one you have. Your wife will never know. Just thinking. Mike
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

What may have happened is in the humidity of Florida the forearm might have "swollen" a tad. You might want to take that forearm off and see if there's some uneven spots where the barrel or action is rubbing.
My 40-90 bn with the standard weight barrel sometimes during a relay gets so hot you can't hardly touch the pewter forearm tip, but it doesn't loose any accuracy, just makes it a pain to get it off the line and in the rack.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

Hey Rebel. I'm planning to do just that.
I have a Shiloh rubber stopped blow tube, and I fitted a brass end to it, just pushed in.
then I glued it to a water bottle top that I drilled a hole in.
now, any water bottle and a dip down of the barrel SHOULD help keep the temp down.
I plan on using it every 5 shots.
I clean between shots, one wet one dry. I may go to Two wet and one dry just to see if the guys that mention fowling may be the problem.

I have some really nice targets with this load, and I hate to start chasing loads.
I've started to use Swiss 1 1/2 too.
I don't think going to 16 to 1 would have a difference.
Ken
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Drop the Swiss when its hot, it's all fouling control and it's not getting done.
Do what Doc Lay said also, you'll find it works.
Or, get yourself some straight Goex, or Old Insford which burns cooler and gives you a little break on fouling issues!!

Kirk,
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

Mike. Mirage may be the issue. I'm using a 2 inch black bull on yellow paper at 100. Hadley set for small hold. Mirage sounds plausible.
also, KIrk, fouling control probably is the issue too. I'll clean better.
the forearm was bedded by the factory on order, but I'll check it too.

thanks guys...keep the ideas coming...Ken
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

FOUND IT! LEAD!!!!
I clean the bore after every shooting session, and use JB lead remover.

I went back today and cleaned it again, this time with a steel rod and very tight patch.
LEAD LEAD AND MORE LEAD. Big chunks! took a lot of elbow grease but that's the problem.
and all this with PP bullets too.

Heat causes leading I think. anyway, I'll clean more and cool with water next session.
More to come...
Ken
BFD

Post by BFD »

Heat does not cause leading in a ppb rifle. There are other reasons.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

well BFD, Something caused it???
I had shot a lot with my 415 GG custom BA money bullet, cast 1/16 .
SPG tropic lube, pan lubed, no sizing., shot just fine.

I load that one with 65 1 1/2 plastic wad and two newspaper wads under bullet to prevent wad riding it down range.
no leading then....

the PP load is a tight bore riding .392 and 9 lb. BA paper wrapped. two wads, compressed 1/16 inch, 67 Swiss 1 1/2. .399.5 to .400 measured.
that should not cause leading....
I'll just watch it closely from now on. K
BFD

Post by BFD »

I mistakenly thought you were shooting PPBs exclusively.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Kirk wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:34 am Drop the Swiss when its hot, it's all fouling control and it's not getting done.
Do what Doc Lay said also, you'll find it works.
Or, get yourself some straight Goex, or Old Insford which burns cooler and gives you a little break on fouling issues!!

Kirk,
Thank you for the 'heads-up' on Swiss, in the heat.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"