On being COMPETITIVE

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

On being COMPETITIVE

Post by Glen Ring »

Many years ago I was SUPER competitive at EVERYTHING. I would drop everything at work and take part in a foot race, arm wrestling match, and even a boxing bout with a co-worker.

I had been on opposite sides of the aisle in many courtrooms with a VERY skilled attorney named Frank. He was damn good..and although we were cordial to each other outside the courtroom..we wanted to DOMINATE every minute in that court.

A judge had a yearly skeet tournament at our club and invited hundreds of folks who comprised teams. I had THE team and was damn serious about taking home first place.( again!) I was on my team to break EVERY bird in the air and we had missed only ONE all day.

I was very happy we were WELL ahead of all the other teams and well on our way to VICTORY.
Frank was on a team and came walking by with his fancy clothes, expensive shotgun and I KNEW his team was far behind so I thought I'd ask " How you shootin Frank?"

Frank was excited to see me and pulled off his safari hat that had a small fan in it...he was so proud of it.
I again asked Frank how he was shootin and he just lit up and excitedly proclaimed " I got One!"

Yep...Frank had hit only one bird ALL day.
We enjoyed jokes for the rest of the day, GREAT food and I relaxed and met new people.
Frank taught me a Very valuable lesson that day. There's much more to a shooting event than a score.
I thought of that lesson this year while watching Brent , Al, Lee and Graham shoot.

If you're ever shooting near Jeanne and I and you hear one of us yell.." GOT ONE' and start giggling, you now know why.
Good buds, good jokes, good food and Oh yes..sometimes we are interrupted by shooting.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Michael Johnson

Re: On being COMPETITIVE

Post by Michael Johnson »

Glen, I enjoyed your post and there is something that we can all learn from it. This Shiloh site is collaborative so that all of us can learn from the experience of others. I do not know you and I do not know Don. I believe your tagline is meant to demean Don and as such I feel that it has no place on this web forum that Shiloh Sharps has graciously provided us. Do unto others as you would have do unto you. Cheers! - Michael Johnson, MD
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Mike
I am a "counter puncher" only. Some can dish it out but can't take it. I demean no one, but can exchange barbs with the best.
I post here at the mercy of the administrators and can be removed at any time based on their criteria. Fairly and even applied criteria.
We are in the process of getting both regional matches ready for Sept. Come shoot with us...they will be fun and drama free.
Good Luck.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Michael Johnson wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:47 pm Glen, I enjoyed your post and there is something that we can all learn from it. This Shiloh site is collaborative so that all of us can learn from the experience of others. I do not know you and I do not know Don. I believe your tagline is meant to demean Don and as such I feel that it has no place on this web forum that Shiloh Sharps has graciously provided us. Do unto others as you would have do unto you. Cheers! - Michael Johnson, MD
You could extend that to some others Michael, or at least the one that is still left.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I could apply this to a lot of folks!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

There you go Mike...Now I'll expect you to be a monitor.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Most shooting sports seem to have a life span. I know several life long competitive shooters have mentioned it to me. It goes something like this.
1) Brand new sport. A handful of people are trying it on. Scores are kept and awards are given.
2) It catches on and quickly grows. Scores are not that good but everybody is busy experimenting and trying to come up with ways to improve.
3) Lots of competitors are shooting the competition and a handful have figured it out and start winning on a regular basis. Lots of good awards and the winner is respected and that trophy is coveted.
4) Same handful of shooters have been winning now for several years and they start to appear untouchable. Why do they get all the good prizes is asked.
5) Attention starts to be diverted from the winners. Large awards are no longer given. Award assets begin to be distributed among all the shooters. More participation prizes.
6) Attendance is on the decline. Minimal awards are given. Bragging about the winners is frowned upon. Public discussion about how much fun it was and there is no need to be competitive is encouraged. Lots of wondering how to get new people involved. Lots of arguments, tension, and hard feelings between the competitors.
7) Sport is basically dead. Only a handful of the most dedicated still participate. Lots of discussion about the good ol' days.

food for thoughts,
Cody
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Yep..But I'm the eternal optimist. I see a new, bright future for silhouette is on the horizon.