Silhouette Champion Of the World

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Silhouette Champion Of the World

Post by Glen Ring »

We were talking, after our workout this morning, about attracting carry overs from one silhouette sport to the other and thought about this...

Tentative dates for all rifle silhouette championships are in Raton New Mexico for 2020.

John Mullins is and has been for years the Greatest rifle shooter on Planet Earth.

John always wins High power rifle silhouette, High-power hunting Rifle silhouette, , Lever action small bore silhouette, lever Action pistol cartridge Silhouette, lever action Big bore Silhouette, Small bore Hunting Rifle silhouette, and small bore Standard Rifle Silhouette.

Imagine the positive press He'd receive for the silhouette community if he included and won both Scope class and iron class Black powder cartridge Silhouette to solidify his title as " The Greatest Silhouette Rifle Shooter of all time"!!!

John Commonly shoots a 10 pound 2 ounce limit rifle so making the transition to a BPCR rifle would not be hard for him at all...and he shoots very high scores in all those sports that require Standing for all the animals.

Cathy Winstead Severan would also be a contender...as would a few others.
Maybe it's time for a unified, undisputed Champion of the world!!
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Kirk Stovall

Re: Silhouette Champion Of the World

Post by Kirk Stovall »

Cathy Winstead is probably an unknown to most shooters, but she started out shooting BB guns in the hallway of of her house as a kid. Her dad Chris Winstead trained both Cathy and Chad who became excellent shooters but Cathy is world class. I believe she didn’t break the old record for running targets, but shattered it...
PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Now we are are talking!

By the way, John Mullins is not the greatest rifle shooter on earth because he has not won either the scope or iron sight National BPCR silhouette match, let alone the high aggregate between the two. The winner of that match is in my opinion the greatest rifle shooter on Earth. That person happened to be Bryan Youngberg this year. Nothing against John, but I will always believe BPCR is the premier rifle competition. Winners have to have a mastery of bullet casting, reloading, load development, fouling control, and marksmanship from both offhand and from a rest. No other rifle competition requires a mastery of all of those. It is also the only rifle competition that successfully won the fight against it just being an equipment race. You will not buy your way into the winners circle.

Just my opinion, but it happens to be right,
Cody
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I think You should contact Mullins and send him an invitation. I have shot against Mullins for years in the other sports and I am soundly trounced. i shot BPCR for the last two years and have finished well...so being an experienced shooter in many more sports I'd have to say Mullins is THE best rifle shooter on planet earth. If you really want competition..and from your posts Cody I assume that you do, then there is no better place to experience it then at the Nationals next year against John. Get out those lever actions, scoped rifles and have a go at it. I'll be there to cheer you on. You are obviously biased and have little experience in the other arts..just my humble opinion. I think John would be chuckling now if he read your sentence about buying success.

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Hey Glen, I did not intend to accuse of John Mullins of buying success. I know how much work it takes to get where he is. I was referring to other disciplines where having $50k+ equipment is a serious advantage. I am biased as I am very proud of BPCR and it's competitors. It is not like other rifle competitions because of the reasons I listed before. Sometimes you don't know who you are talking to Glen as I have plenty of experience in a large variety of other shooting sports, as well as other hobbies and competitions. You'll have to put that in your profile of me. :lol: :lol:

More than one hotshot has came over from other disciplines to show us how it's done and went home with his tail between his legs....
take care, Cody
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

kirk..she is the steadiest offhand shooter I've ever seen and her dad is the best spotter. She prevails in ANY silhouette sport and I'd love to see her and the Great John Mullins include BPCR in their shooting. I'd be willing to pitch in a little extra for a Champion Of Champions Ring to crown the winner the best silhouette shooter on earth. Mastering Nine rifles and adding up the aggregates would be news worthy, bring good press to all silhouette sports and start a new quest for bored folks.

I already shoot three rifles in lever action, two in small bore and in two BPCR..I might persuade my 64 year old bones to shoot two more in High Power.

The WORLD SHOOT that Director Aaron Farmer is putting on in Sept is a match to test the mastery of ALL firearms and has been FULL for months. Maybe that format would be a draw for more silhouette shooters .
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Now THAT's the spirit Cody...I have been SUPER competitive my entire life and reeled it back in recent years because of the older guys I hang around. Now you know why I shoot with Youngsters. If you ever hang around and listen to Me and Aaronn farmer talk trash, you'd think we were not good friends. He was a career marine and I was a career Police Officer...Careers in both venues DEMAND extreme competition to remain alive. You believe as I do..competition makes us all better.

I'll be looking forward to seeing you shoot Lever action Silhouette and the other silhouette sports next summer.
Please encourage other BPCR shooters that you know to cross over..THE competition you want to see happening is exciting.
Where else can you go to one place, compete in 9,,yes NINE national championships and add all that shooting up for an aggregate and title of WORLD's GREATEST !!
Yes I'm excited. Good Idea Cody!
Now start practicing .. I started at day break.
hueyw

Post by hueyw »

The world is a pretty big place! you guys might have left a few out..
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Not intentionally...The folks from down under will be here next year....maybe even the gentlemen from Canada...Now you're smelling what I'm cookin!
I think i may see you next month Huey.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Good idea!

This is a tough sport. As one example, in LA/MS I shot with a gentleman who was a High Master in DCM (200, 300, 600), shooting one of the first space guns I ever saw. We got him interested in BPTR and BPCR Silhouette, and he worked hard at it. It took him around 1-1/2 years to fully master the sports, and he commented about how much more difficult it was to master than the modern rifle.

I think both those shooters would put up a really good challenge, with their offhand experience and records. It might even set up a challenge between one of them and Brian Chilson, Brad Rice, Brian Youngberg, or one of our other top shooters?!.

Clarence
Del

Post by Del »

Another issue that makes the transition to BPCR difficult is the need of a great spotter that you have shot with long enough to be a well oiled machine. Finding someone that wants to shoot all those venues with you is a problem in itself. Without a great spotter, it doesn't matter how good you are on the gun. This is something I noticed about high power at the Missoula local matches is many don't use spotters and there are virtually no wind calls.
Fortune Favors the Bold...
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Good point, Del.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

High power doesn’t allow spotters or coaching it’s specifically against the rules, only in team events.

Read a rule book.

Kenny Wasserburger.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Kenny
High power Silhouette does allow Spotters and coaching..and spotting scopes. Both sports are very similiar in that the wind is a major factor. The difference is that in High power Silhouette all animals are shot standing, unsupported.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Glen when I talk about high power, I talk about the real rifleman match NRA High power. Not High power Silhouette.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter