An idea for a match

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

John Bly

An idea for a match

Post by John Bly »

Years ago there was an East-West match in Miller KS and a North-South match in Bon Aqua. There has been nothing like these matches in a long time. I got to thinking we need to try new things to keep interest up and create new interest in our sport. What I envision is a Regional team match. I know there are team matches at some Regionals and at Nat'ls, but this would be different. Five shooters from a region would comprise a team. The match would be held at a neutral range where it would be a weekend event. There would be no classes, iron sight and scopes would be combined. The winner would be the highest aggregate score of the teams for both days. There would be not be individual awards. Teams could be from the South East, Great Lakes, Northeast, Texas, Mountains States or Southwest Regions. It should be an interesting event and bring together some of the best shooters in the country for a weekend of shooting and camaradarie. What do you think? Any thing to add or other ideas?
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
BFD

Re: An idea for a match

Post by BFD »

John Bly wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:44 am Years ago there was an East-West match in Miller KS and a North-South match in Bon Aqua. There has been nothing like these matches in a long time. I got to thinking we need to try new things to keep interest up and create new interest in our sport. What I envision is a Regional team match. I know there are team matches at some Regionals and at Nat'ls, but this would be different. Five shooters from a region would comprise a team. The match would be held at a neutral range where it would be a weekend event. There would be no classes, iron sight and scopes would be combined. The winner would be the highest aggregate score of the teams for both days. There would be not be individual awards. Teams could be from the South East, Great Lakes, Northeast, Texas, Mountains States or Southwest Regions. It should be an interesting event and bring together some of the best shooters in the country for a weekend of shooting and camaradarie. What do you think? Any thing to add or other ideas?
i like this idea a WHOLE BUNCH. And I'll be at Miller by 6pm grilling a steak drinking a beer and getting ready to shoot the matches tomorrow and Sunday. I've posted photos of the Hideout where everyone stayed, the photos journals are lying out that show the matches and there are books of autographs from all the shooters that stayed there. It's fantastic.

I missed the original E-W match, but I'll be there tonight.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I'm in!! Let me know when it is and I'll be there with a team! Great Idea, I LOVE it!!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

If you are going to go to that length to hold a match, might as well make it a 4-day affair and include 2-days of .22BPCR, as well. Alternate days between CF & RF so it doesn't become a physical test.
Glenn
BFD

Post by BFD »

2 days for irons. Two Days for scope.

Spotters must shoot and shooters must spot.

How about Oklahoma City? It's fairly central, and easy to get in-and-out of, and they have auto setting targets. I have never shot there it's on my bucket list
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Brent, like the two days of iron and two days of scope. Five person teams but each team must have one A, one AA, one AAA and no more than two masters on the squad. Everyone must spot at least once for each animal during each day. Like OK city for the reasons you stated.
Dick
BFD

Post by BFD »

Dick, I would rather have an even number of people on teams so everybody spots and everybody shoots area and Partitioning them out by class like that will make it very difficult to put together teams. Depending on how you draw up the region's some of us won't have all those kinds of shooters. I would prefer to leave classes in the ditch, and just go with shooters from every given region. The East West was easy because the Mississippi made a fairly good dividing line. But with so many fewer shooter is now common not all of whom can make a given match at a given time at a given location, this may not be as easy to do as one would think. If only every state was like Wyoming various but Iowa has approximately One shooter.

Maybe somebody could look up some of the scores reported around the country, and get a feel for how to divide it up with equitable numbers of shooters in a region.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

A five man team? I like the idea! That would be everyone that shoots silhouette in the entire state of Florida! :shock: :lol: that's Mark, Tom, Kim, Blair, and Ben Bateman. It sounds like fun. Hope it happens!
Tom
BFD

Post by BFD »

You know, timezones might make a good set of regions.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I think it would need to be kept simple with a minimum of rules, no classes, everyone shoots against everyone else. I thought about 4 man teams to make it easy to shoot and coach but then it is too close to the existing team thing. I think adding a 5th shooter with the option of having a non shooting spotter would work. They would not shoot together as a group but by random selection as many matches are now. Just the scores would be added together at the end of the match. These are just my thoughts. If this comes to fruition it may be way different.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Will guess that the major determinant of who is on a team will be who is willing & able to travel. Its a fair distance from eastern & western states that border the ocean to OKC.
Glenn
BFD

Post by BFD »

Every time the subject of the East West matches comes up, I get all wound up and excited about it again. I have many hours of thought put into how these might be reincarnated. Kevin Alexander and I spent a fair bit of time talking about it tonight, here at The Hideout, the site of the original East West matches. When I get back to a keyboard, I'll tell you what I have in mind. I'm willing to do the work to make it happen if I can find the range to shoot it at. Maybe here. Maybe somewhere else.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

I would like to see a match run exactly as the original creedmoor matches were run.
this would mean taking it in turns to fire each shot.
it would also mean muzzle loaders and breech loaders going head to head.
an advantage of including both types of rifle is that the competition would be open to more shooters.
the target used in the 1876 centennial match would add interest.
usa would be the place to run this purely from potential shooter numbers.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Bruce......... think we are talking a silhouette match, not a target match.

How about more than one team from a region? Any reason there could not be an 'A' team and a 'B' team, etc.?
Glenn
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

hi glenn,
sorry to go off topic.
I like shooting sil, but like long range target even more.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus