Lead

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BFD

Re: Lead

Post by BFD »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:29 pm
BFD wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:14 pm Some people figure this out right away, some take a little longer, some never catch on... :)

I can't imagine why anyone shoots greasers in a singleshot.
In my case-Arthritis in my hands. :wink:
Gary
I can't speak to that directly, but you may find it easier than pan lubing, lubrisizing, or all the other things that groove bullets require. Some have even made gizmos for rolling bullets, but for sure the difficulty of rolling paper round lead is TREMENDOUSLY EXAGGERATED on the internet.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Brent,

As someone having experience with both, I wouldn't call it easier. The major difference is that lubing bullets doesn't really require a lot of care and attention (I'm pan lubing), whereas paper patching bullets you need to pay more attention to what you're doing. That being said, I still prefer a PP bullet, pity I haven't found a reliably-performing load for my 32-20 though...
skeeter355

Post by skeeter355 »

I have used copper scouring pads. Cut apart a section and wrap around a cleaning brush. Oil the copper and run through the bore. Cuts the lead rapidly. Got this technique from Veral Smith LBT bullet molds.
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

Carb cleaner on a tight patch followed by gun oil.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

well, I bought some 100% pure gum turpentine because they said it worked getting the lead out.
boy, it sure does. ran a couple at first. lots of lead, couple more day after....more lead, just now. some flecks..

this with PP bullets too!.
I think some short cases in my 40 70 SS cut to 2.495 or a little less, allowed the patch to rip on firing, causing lead.
just a guess.
checked all the cases, and will use only the 2.5 cases.
fyi...Ken
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

martinibelgian wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:50 am Brent,

As someone having experience with both, I wouldn't call it easier. The major difference is that lubing bullets doesn't really require a lot of care and attention (I'm pan lubing), whereas paper patching bullets you need to pay more attention to what you're doing. That being said, I still prefer a PP bullet, pity I haven't found a reliably-performing load for my 32-20 though...
This :!:
Pan lube'n GG is much easier for me, than roll'n a bullet properly onto a 'patch'.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

BFD wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:14 pm Some people figure this out right away, some take a little longer, some never catch on... :)

I can't imagine why anyone shoots greasers in a singleshot.
Just had to ask this how does the PP work in ye-old trapdoor with the three-three rifling configuration? Has any one tried it and does it scatter the bullets all over the map?

Jim O