Can I shoot modern rounds in my Shiloh 45-70?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Parrymd

Can I shoot modern rounds in my Shiloh 45-70?

Post by Parrymd »

I inherited my dad’s Sharps Shiloh 45-70 Old Reliable and 50-70. The 50-70 has “use black power only” stamped on the barrel, the 45-70 does not. I was wondering if I can use modern rounds in the 45-70 instead of black powder. I’ve read some posts that say not to use jacketed bullets only lead bullets. Any recommendations for using modern rounds in the 45-70, jacketed or not? Both rifles were purchased in the 70s or early 80s.
Parrymd

Re: Can I shoot modern rounds in my Shiloh 45-70?

Post by Parrymd »

Ok, I've added some pics to clear up what I have. Three pics are for the 50-70, low serial number.
IMG_2412.jpg
IMG_2413.jpg
IMG_2414.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parrymd

Post by Parrymd »

Ok, only 3 pics at a time, here's the 45-70. From reading the threads sounds like i can shoot smokeless, lead.
IMG_2415.jpg
IMG_2416.jpg
IMG_2417.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lrb

Post by lrb »

Yes. Indeed. I shoot only smokeless hand loads, and they are slightly hotter than factory standards. The Shiloh Sharps action is a very strong one. Many prefer black powder loads, but I don't like all the cleaning it requires. It is just a matter of choice.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Parrymd,

See my last reply to your original posting under "support" before you stoke those Shiloh rifles up with smokeless powder. If they have the large firing pin, I would not use hot smokeless powder loads. Despite all the claims to the contrary, these rifles are designed for black powder or FACTORY smokeless powder loads for which they are chambered. That would apply to the 45-70 as it is still loaded, the 38-55, and the 30-40 Krag, Remember that those factory 45-70 loads are reduced to be safe in the Springfield trapdoor.

George
MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

You can use some factory smokeless loads, but there are some hot loads out there too so proceed with caution. I prefer BP myself but do occasionally load some smokeless which I shoot in my Shiloh LRE and an original #5 Rolling Block action. I do not shoot hot loads. I use 5744 and stay on the low pressure side, according to the literature. Just be watchful for pressure signs.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Your Shiloh Action can handle up to Ruger #1 loads in the 45-70.

You’re fine.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

kenny, How far back (build date wise) would you say you can run ruger no1 loads??
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

The rifle may handle Ruger #1 loads, but you probably won't enjoy them very much. Many years ago, I shot some heavy loads with 405 gr. Speer bullets and did not enjoy them at all. My rifle, serial #78xx, so 2-4 years newer than yours, was built in 1986. Far better to use either BP or BP-equivalent loads with cast bullets. I took BP-equivalent loads with 500 gr. cast flat-nose bullets to Africa twice and found that they killed very well at moderate velocities-just had to remember that the trajectory was not as flat as hotter loads.

YMMV.

Clarence
Parrymd

Post by Parrymd »

Thanks for the info guys.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Listen to Clarence. He has it right. That rifle will kick you silly with Ruger Number One loads and they are not necessary. I have been to Africa three times, twice with a 45-110 and once with a 45-70, and used cast bullets and black powder all three times. Seventy grains of 2f black powder and a 500 grain Govt. bullet will give complete LENGTHWISE penetration--72 inches on a tape measure--on a bison. I have seen it, and have personally shot through a black wildebeast from ham to an exit out of the chest with a Govt. bullet on a finishing shot at less than 1300 fps. Don't worry about a 45-70 and black powder. Properly loaded, it has plenty of horsepower. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Listen to Clarence. He has it right. That rifle will kick you silly with Ruger Number One loads and they are not necessary. I have been to Africa three times, twice with a 45-110 and once with a 45-70, and used cast bullets and black powder all three times. Seventy grains of 2f black powder and a 500 grain Govt. bullet will give complete LENGTHWISE penetration--72 inches on a tape measure--on a bison. I have seen it, and have personally shot through a black wildebeast from ham to an exit out of the chest with a Govt. bullet on a finishing shot at less than 1300 fps. Don't worry about a 45-70 and black powder. Properly loaded, it has plenty of horsepower. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT