Road Trip

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Pink Panther

Road Trip

Post by Pink Panther »

Going to drive up to Big Timber with my brother this September, heading North out from Denver. I plan on stopping, of course, by Shiloh Rife. We are also hitting C Sharps and the Cody Firearms Museum. Any other points of interest that might be worth stopping by?
Wagonmaker

Re: Road Trip

Post by Wagonmaker »

The Dug Up Gun Museum also in Cody is definitely worth a stop. It’s just off of the main drag.
Firearms technology was perfected in the 1870's, and it's been a slow downhill slide ever the advent of smokeless powder.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The 3 trails center in Casper is an interesting place to spend a bit of time. Jim Gachel (sp) museum in Buffalo, and King Rope's in Sheridan.
The museum in Kaycee is good, as well as the Wyoming Pioneer museum on the state fair grounds in Douglas.
The private museum at Gerry Owen is well worth the cost, and the Little Big Horn Battlefield is always interesting.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

The Mountain Man Museum in Pinedale, WY is a great place to visit but probably too much of a detour with the itinerary you laid out.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

You need more than 1 day to see the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody.
X2 on the Dug Up Gun Museum.
Be sure to have a Prime Rib dinner at the Irma Hotel, in Cody.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

Not kidding about the Irma Hotel..
ps. don't wear a tie, and don't worry if you see a guy (or gal) at the bar with a Colt in the hip holster!
next stop.
DEADWOOD, and stay at the Bullock Hotel. yup...THAT Bullock.....
and ps. bring a camera,....it's Haunted too.
Ken
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Also the Old Trail Town in Cody has some nice Sharps buffalo rifles on display in one of their buildings. It was worth the price of admission to see Liver Eating Johnson's grave!

If you can detour a little, the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, NE is very good! Lots of trade rifles you don't always see. https://www.furtrade.org/
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

The Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale, Wyoming is pretty cool! - Mike
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Agree 110% on seeing Old Trail Town.
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Fort Laramie in Wyoming is interesting. The Battle of the Little Bighorn is not very far in western terms east of Big Timber right off I90. You could drive through Yellowstone Nat'l park after leaving Cody and go up through Livingston to Big Timber. Just some ideas.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

Of course, you should drive over Beartooth Pass.

The Mint Bar & Grill in Livingston. Jose and Jordan are great guys to visit with.

Natural Bridge Falls south of Big Timber.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

Big thanks for all the ideas. Looking forward to seeing many of these destinations!
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

Be sure to check out the display of Cooper Sharps in the Gallatin History Museum in Bozeman...

PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Reading this thread has been both informative and therapeutic. It reminds me of some places that I need to visit before I leave this place. Another place to visit in the vicinity is the site of the Fetterman Massacre. Just south of the Montana/ Wyoming border south of Billings, MT. It looks pretty much the same as it did back in the day. If you know the history you can pretty much see how it all played out.
GPeterson

Post by GPeterson »

Pink P,

To go with what Michael Johnson posted about the Fetterman Massacre, both Fort Phil Kearney and the Wagon Box Fight site are less than a crow's flight of a mile from each other (all part of that whole story on "The Bloody Bozeman") in some of the most beautiful country at the foot of the Big Horn Mountains. A great little visitor's center is there at the fort site, too. If you've never been, you should stop. The Fetterman Massacre was the biggest U.S. Army disaster in the West until the Custer fight 10 years later. Both sites are literally right off of I-90 on your way to Big Timber, and a bit less than a hundred miles apart as well. Enjoy your road trip, and don't forget to stop at the Jim Gatchell museum in Buffalo before you get on I-90 North.

Travel safe,

GPeterson
Buffalo, WY