Working on some new stuff

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Working on some new stuff

Post by mdeland »

Been really busy this spring and summer dip netting our salmon supply for winter and felling about a hundred beetle killed spruce around our cabin to protect it from fire. We now have a hundred foot perimeter all the way around for a pretty fair fire break.
Will be going after our caribou later this month and will hopefully fill up the freezer with prime meat. I'm going to keep all the back and leg sinew I can get this year for backing on the Bowdark bows I hope to make.
Was able to get a new butt stock made last week for the Martini Max cadet, from a chunk of walnut I picked up some where and had laying up under the bench.
Also am making a Hickory long bow I have long wanted to try since a kid. Am on the tiller-ing part now and find it fascinating. Learned to make Flemish twist bow strings and servings reasonably well that seem to work quite efficiently . Much to learn on all fronts but it is fun to explore new stuff like this. Looking foreword to getting some Bowdark (Old Sage Orange) staves and giving that a try. Supposed to be the very best of bow wood strong in both tension and compression with very little string follow or set development.
My flint lock has been put on the back burner since I had to wait six months to get the stock and got working on this other stuff. I'll get back to it later this year when the summer rush is over and post some pictures of all this stuff for those who may be interested.
art ruggiero

Re: Working on some new stuff

Post by art ruggiero »

mike; so what have you been doing? :D :D best art
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Oh, hadn't been on here in a few months and thought it would be good to let my cyber family know I hadn't forgotten them , just been crazy busy. :lol:
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Love to see some pictures of the cabin.
Good to see you post'n again :!:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I hardly recognize the place now that all the trees are down around it and stacked into two giant piles at the perimeter. Where starting to replace the spruce trees around the property with Siberian Larch which is supposed to be pretty fire resistant and hardy tree. They grow to about 50 ft tall and can stand -50 F. It gets to -40 F. in the Willlow valley on occasion.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

Your activities sound like an echo of myself, with one difference. I cannot get anything accomplished in the spring/summer...all of that takes place when there is snow on the ground. In other words, I get six months creative time, and six months of summer fun (shooting!) We have a lot in common.