Decapping 45-110 brass.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

weaponsloadtoad

Decapping 45-110 brass.

Post by weaponsloadtoad »

Got a questions for you professionals. I have a Redding T7 turret press. I have Lyman reloading dies. I have not used either yet. I was setting it up and have some brass to decap. I don't have any case lube right now, but, I see when I put my brass in the die just to see if it goes in and it stops about an inch before it would be all the way in the die. Is that normal? By the way it is Star brass. I have not put any pressure on it at all, checking it out by hand before I put the die in the turret. Should it be that tight? Perhaps it will go in further once I have case lube, but, I thought I would check with you guys while I wait. Thanks
We don't smoke, we don't chew, we don't go with girls that do,... we ain't got no girlfriends!
Don McDowell

Re: Decapping 45-110 brass.

Post by Don McDowell »

Didn't know Starline made 2 7/8 brass. But those Lyman dies and the T7 press make a great combo for the 110. If you're trying to decap in the size die yes you'll need to lube those cases.
The Lee universal recapping die and hand press work quite well for just decapping.
Distant Thunder products also makes a real nice hand held decapper.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

I didn't know Lyman made 45-110 dies. Anyway, with blackpowder decap and sizing (if at all) are two separate tasks. Decap prior to immersing in solvent, cleanup, and tumbling. Once that is done you have a nice clean case to run through the sizing die if needed.

Universal decapping dies or one of the hand held tools works for me.
Sam
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

I didn't know Lyman made 45-110 dies. Anyway, with blackpowder decap and sizing (if at all) are two separate tasks. Decap prior to immersing in solvent, cleanup, and tumbling. Once that is done you have a nice clean case to run through the sizing die if needed.

Universal decapping dies or one of the hand held tools works for me.
Sam
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

"Star" brass? Do you mean Starline?? :?
Starline does not make .45-110 cases.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bobw

Post by bobw »

Most assuredly Lyman makes 45-110 dies as mine are. Starline 2 7/8"? It would be because someone used a stretcher on 2.6" and that's a long stretch. hmm
bobw
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

At one time Buffalo Arms sold 45-110 cases made from stretched 45-100 Starline.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I have some Starline 2.6 cases that BACO stretched to 110. I bought a couple of boxes of BP 45-110 from BACO before I learned to reload BP. Starline does not make 45-110 cases.
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

I use a Lee Universal Decapping Die in a Lee Challenger Breech Lock single stage press for all my decapping prior to cleaning.

BP cases go into a solution of hot water and Dawn right after firing, shaken and sit for 10-15 minutes, then hot water rinse. When I get home I decap then wet tumble with hot water, Dawn, Lemishine. Another hot water rinse and into a 200 degree oven on baking sheets for about 2 hours.

Just bought 100 Norma cases, .45-120 from Huntington's for my Quigley that I should pick up late next year. At $29.90/20, saved enough from the .45-110 at $40.90/20 to cover my labor.

Also bought the Lyman .45-110 dies on Amazon for $54. Will be cutting down the 120's after doing a chamber cast.

As the Tom Petty song goes; The waiting is the hardest part.

I have mostly Starline cases for my .40-65, some are .45-70 that have been reduced.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander
ShelbyRuss

Post by ShelbyRuss »

I just had BACO make me some 45-110 brass. It is the stretched 2.6 Starline brass, and they did a very nice job. I see as of yesterday it is listed as being in stock. Hope this helps someone! Russ
CaptnJack

Post by CaptnJack »

I made some lube for brass mostly for my other pistols and rifles In fact I use it on all my brass it works real nice. I run it through with my Dillion 650 and my single-stage Hornady. I use 12oz of Heat-gas treatment (red bottle) and 2oz of lanolin put in a spray bottle. I usually put them in a zip lock bag spray a few squirts close bag shift around and your cases are lubed. Cheap and easy and goes a long way.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

CaptnJack wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:11 pm I made some lube for brass mostly for my other pistols and rifles In fact I use it on all my brass it works real nice. I run it through with my Dillion 650 and my single-stage Hornady. I use 12oz of Heat-gas treatment (red bottle) and 2oz of lanolin put in a spray bottle. I usually put them in a zip lock bag spray a few squirts close bag shift around and your cases are lubed. Cheap and easy and goes a long way.
If you spray with the cases in the bag-
You are ask'n for contaminated powder and dead primers.

I spay a old medium sized towel and roll the clean cases on the towel.......
I then put the towel in a zip-lock bag for the next time......
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Painless

Post by Painless »

I deprime my cases at the range with a hand held tool with a hand held tool that is no longer produced. One of the very few pluses of being a seasoned shooter (having tools that are no longer produced). From there they go into wet tumbler (used to use ultrasonic) with ceramic media and cleaning solution. All that being said an internet search turned up a tool, Harvey Deprimer https://harveydeprimer.com/ ,that will accommodate a 45-110 cartridge and work much the same way as the one I use.
Unus pulsus unus nex
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

use a Universal decapping die. set the die pin out far enough to push the primer out. NO MORE needed than that. You want the pin to push the primer but NOT hit the case bottom. prevents pin breakage. where it sits on the ram really doesn't matter as long as you tighten it and set the pin to the proper length. just go easy and pop them out.
No need to size fired cases anyway....
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

use a Universal decapping die. set the die pin out far enough to push the primer out. NO MORE needed than that. You want the pin to push the primer but NOT hit the case bottom. prevents pin breakage. where it sits on the ram really doesn't matter as long as you tighten it and set the pin to the proper length. just go easy and pop them out.
No need to size fired cases anyway....