Winchester Model 71

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ChrisF

Winchester Model 71

Post by ChrisF »

To mount a Mid Range Tang sight must it be driller or do you use the existing tang/stock screws?
Marlin3855

Re: Winchester Model 71

Post by Marlin3855 »

Not that I have seen a 71 with a tang sight, but Winchesters always used the tang bolt and 1 other screw up the tang. So if you were going to do it I would think youd have to drill and tap.

Dave
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I have a Model 71 with the receiver sight. It works well for hunting deer and elk out to 200 yards. I use Swift bullets. Never really thought about using a tang sight. Skinner makes a cool bolt mounted peep for the rifle as well.
BFD

Post by BFD »

71's came with one of two types of rear sights. The first was a Lyman (I believe) that road the bolt. It tended to shoot loose and was later replaced by the left-side receiver sight that looked much less sexy, but worked more betterer.

I have not seen a tang sight on a 71. I would expect you would have to drill and tap for it.
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

I have 2 Win Model 71s and both wear MVA tang sights. They both use a tang bolt in the rear hole and small short screw in the front hole. The front hole must be drilled and tapped. The rear tang bolt is a bit longer than the stock Win bolt. Win Model 71 were made with 2 different tang lengths. Early rifles had longer tangs than the later built rifles. Both of my rifles have the longer tangs, which allows the sight to set farther back giving more room to clear the bolt when the lever is worked to open the action.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Don’t want to drill take away collector value