94 Winchester trigger job?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

PEteacher

Post by PEteacher »

The lever action silhouette segment of Brent's recent post about Raton rekindled my interest in long, octagon barrelled lever action rifles. Years ago I handled and really liked the way a Centennial Commemorative ( the gold plated receiver one) 26" barrelled 30-30 held offhand. No extra funds back then, so it did not go home with me.

With better funding now, I located and brought home a 26" octagon Winchester 94 Canadian Centennial with Lyman receiver sight already mounted. Good price and used just enough to be a shooter with very little collector value. Shot a few test loads through it and seems to have potential. ( I will mostly be shooting inexpensive 1200 - 1400 fps cast loads through it.) Since 8-10 grains of Unique behind my cast bullets make for very inexpensive shooting, I hope to use it as a "trainer" to get back into confidently using barrel sights on my Shilohs. I will remove the receiver sight once I find the best load.

My problem is the trigger pull is far above the 3-4 pounds I would prefer.

I have not found much on the internet about reducing 94 Winchester trigger pull weight, but am pretty sure those shooting them in silhouette competition aren't satisfied with 6-8 pound pull weights. (From my reading, it appears these long octagon barrelled 94s in 30-30 are a leading choice in Rifle Caliber Lever Action Silhouette.)

So, my question is, where can I find information on how to lighten this trigger, or who to send it to to get it done? I will visit with my local smith, but my reading suggested it is not a common or easy job. Or, is it as easy as replacing springs?

As always, thanks in advance for your help,

Jeff
Lumpy Grits

Re: 94 Winchester trigger job?

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Most of the pull weight comes from an oversprung hammer spring.
If yours has the coil hammer spring-Try here......
https://www.gunsprings.com/WINCHESTER/9 ... 120/dID334

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
PEteacher

Post by PEteacher »

Just checked it. It has a flat hammer Spring.
Maybe I will just have to shoot the heck out of it to work it in! What a terrible problem to have😜😜!
Thanks for trying!

Jeff
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

I would think that any compitent gun smith should be able to get you a 2 pound trigger easily.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

You can de-arch/tension that spring some.
Can you post a profile picture shown'n the action and spring?
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Just got out my exploded view book for a look see at the Winchester 94 interior as it's been some time since I've had my gun apart and can see no reason why a sear lift and weaker main spring could not be made and installed. A sear lift limits the amount of engagement the trigger nose makes with the full cock hammer notch. Factory triggers are almost universally overly done in this regard. Stoning to square up, smooth and break the engagement corner and surfaces will also reduce trigger pull for a cleaner break.