Annual Caribou hunt

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Annual Caribou hunt

Post by mdeland »

Well it's that time of year again and am getting pretty excited to head out after Caribou and bear. Bought a new NRS 142 raft this year so should be fun breaking in a new boat. My 35 year old NRS Scout was getting a little long in the tooth after so much use over the years so decided to upgrade. This one is a self baler and has a much improved inflation valve system which makes pressure regulation a breeze.
Now if the river level will raise a bit and the game will cooperate we should have a great trip. I'll try to post some pictures of the adventure if we get into any game.
bpcr shooter

Re: Annual Caribou hunt

Post by bpcr shooter »

sounds like fun!!! have fun be safe!!!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Roger that and thanks. I can't think of anything I would rather do!
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Well, not knowing, I had to google to see what an NS 142 was. Impressive.....!
Sam
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I put her all together for set up and to adjust to my pilot but have not had it in the water so we'll see how she handles. One good thing is the dealer threw in oar shafts that were 9.5 feet instead of the standard 9 footers so that will give a bit more maneuver leverage. Also added the high profile oar locks and keeps. Should handle any white water well and float at least a 1000 lbs of cargo.
Still a bit worried about low water as it has been the hottest and driest summer on record. Been checking the USGS flow rate for the river daily and it is 5-6 feet below full bank.Not exactly sure what that translates to as far as float-a-bility but think it is doable at this level.
Think I'll give 40 Mile Air in TOK a call tomorrow and see what they say!
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

How does this all work....the logistics? Does someone tow you to site or do you transport uninflated?
Sam
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

We drive or get flown in to an area with the gear broken down. if by plane then the frame which is about 8x8 has to be un-bolted and bundled. Ice chest is the pilot seat and aluminum dry box is the front passenger bench seat. The raft itself folds down into a soft case approximately 36x48x18 inches. Oars break down into 4 foot sections and straps, hand air pump , life preservers and seat hooks go into dry box. I guess the whole shebang will go about 200lbs or so and usually needs a Cessna 206 or standard size pick up box to get into the "put in" area.
Some times the raft can be put together and inflated at home then slid onto a snow machine trailer for transport, if the roads are good.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I which I had taken more advantage of float hunting by river much sooner than I did as a great deal of Alaska can be accessed by air or road (put in)then floated back to a high way (take out). It's a very quiet, peaceful and efficient way to cover a lot of ground plus the fact that rivers and lakes attract game animals.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I love 40 mile air. What size aircraft do they use to get you up there? Super cub for each of you plus a gear load?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I would think minimum would be a Cessna 206 with a cargo door or Beaver would be even better. Cub, maybe with rear seat removed and some creative raft packing. Oars and broke down frame on wing struts, but I'd bet it could be done.
Michael Johnson

So what did they do for you last year?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Next year we want to try the North Fork of the 40 mile as there is some really good moose hunting up there we're told but the fly in the ointment is the "Kink" a class 5 rapid one has to negotiate on the way out. Not good with a 1000 lbs of meat and gear on board.
We're thinking we could pack around, run through light and repack on the down leg. Either that or line the rafts through.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Never have flown with 40 Mile Air, we usually use the road system and trails for put ins and take outs.
Michael Johnson

Mike, we had a party of four that flew to the Charley river. We each went up one at a time in Supercubs plus one gear load. I suspect the gear load trip would suffice for your raft and frame. The Supercubs can land on a sand bar, the 206 needs a longer maintained strip. I used to be a pilot. Let me know how it goes and how they do it! I might want to try this in the future. Leif runs a great outfit! - Mike
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

We did a fly in, float out trip some years back on the upper Kashwitna and come to think of it K-2 flying service in Talkeetna used Super Cubs to haul in our rafts and yup we landed on a very short sand bar mid river. Course these pilots don't really need to be on land once they get rolling as they can take off from the river surface with the tundra tires once they got some speed up before rotation. It does pucker you a bit so see them run out of strip so soon though. If the engine coughed we'd be in the drink bottom side up!
I think there is a pretty good strip in Joseph creek on the North Fork of the 40 mile that 40 Mile Air uses to get there hunters in and out. I thought they were using 206's but could be wrong about that.
Almost no one floats that part of the river because of the KinK rapids I'm told.
'