rod stop trick

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kenny s

rod stop trick

Post by kenny s »

OK, bought a new Tipton 44 inch rod for my 40 70 SS, 30 inch Shiloh.
was too long, cut the end, reset the brass tip, new jag and all's well.

I kept hitting my finger on the end of the folded tang sight, OUCH.
so, off to the hardware store, and $3.00 later I had two 1/4 inch rubber tip covers, and one plastic washer.
Pushed them on and they are tight and now stop the patch from falling out the front. They just clear the end.
pull back and discard. (now two full passes with each patch)

trick..bring the rod to the store to fit the washer properly. they have all sizes.....

Ken
IMG_3411.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Johnson

Re: rod stop trick

Post by Michael Johnson »

Nice!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Good idea.

Alternately, I made my cleaning rods 50 inches long from tip to tip. They clear the muzzle as my palm contacts the butt plate. Works perfectly on both 32 and 34 inch barrels and keeps your knuckles from being skinned by the tang sight. If you want to stop just short of clearing the muzzle, just stop short of your palm contacting the butt. I don't reverse the stroke of a cleaning rod, but push only one way, so a rod that clears by an inch or so is what I'm looking for. When I started this game, I couldn't find one long enough and or stout enough to suit, so I just made my own using 7/16th's stainless rod, with a brass and rosewood handle. Still using that first rod.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

used this at the range this AM and it worked. I found that letting the wet rag just hit the muzzle seemed to leave a little at the tip.
so.....I push and pull back the wet patch, and then push the dry all the way through. worked. great groups.

I tightened it up with a little tape under the rubber and so far so good.

Ken