schnabble forestock

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Yosemite Sam

schnabble forestock

Post by Yosemite Sam »

Probably a dumb question but here goes: Is there a practical benefit or use for the schnabble foreshock shape or is it simply a style? I see lots of original Sharps pictures with a simple rounded over shape and very few repros are rounded over unless they have a pewter tip.
I HATE rabbits
bobw

Re: schnabble forestock

Post by bobw »

The Business rifle has a rounded fore end, I know of no other model made that way unless you order an ebony fore end tip and some of those have a small schnable. Original B rifles were also rounded and most of the Sporting rifles were schnabled or pewter tip if from the Hartford era. From the Bridgeport era pewter tip was an option. And of course one can run into exceptions. bobw
bobw
robert1

Post by robert1 »

I have a #3 sporter with a plain wood schnable fore stock, and I can say it looks much better in person than in a picture.
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

I have a #3 sporter and I have never really liked the schnable forearm look. It shoots just fine though. LOL.
I HATE rabbits
BFD

Post by BFD »

Personally, I like the old Farmingdale schnabbles much better than the later ones. In fact they are my favorite forearm configuration, just no longer available.
Contaucreek

Post by Contaucreek »

My Farmingdale civilian carbine has a well fitted and eye pleasing schnabel forend.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

This is nothing more than a style adopted from the German influence on modern guns. The term means "birds or Eagles beak" in German , according to the NRA glossary of terms. You will find schnabble forends on shotguns as well as many makes of rifles.