Africa

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DAVE ROELLE

Re: Africa

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

I was the engineering manager at Ben Pearson fron 1974 thru 1982

It was the most rewarding experience of my working career. It spanned the transition from laminated recurve bows to compounds

Jim Dougherty was our Pro at the time and successfully hunted africa with recutves and wood attows.

Many of the folks i worked with had been at Pearson from the 50's

Patent number: 4333443

Abstract: A compound bow, and a cabling system and eccentric for compound bows. Cable end terminals are adapted to be removably coupled together whereby to facilitate field disassembly. The bow has a pair of eccentric pulleys revolvably coupled at its opposite ends, over which a preferably segmented cable system is wound. The cable system preferably comprises a pair of pulley cables having a first end revolvably associated with a pulley and an opposite end adapted to be axially secured to the bow, a pair of string cables each having a first end revolvably associated with one of the pulleys and adapted to be selectively coupled to one of the pulley cable first ends and a second end terminating in a teardrop fitting, and a bow string extending between opposite bow limbs coupled to the teardrop fittings for propelling an arrow. Unique coupling members secured to ends of the pulley cables and the string cables enable them to be removably coupled together.

Type: Grant

Filed: October 14, 1980

Date of Patent: June 8, 1982

Assignee: Ben Pearson Archery Inc.

Inventor: David Roelle

Wish i had pictures of the Pearson shop, Ben designed and built all the specialized equipement. From feather saws and fletching equipement to string machines and fiberglass pultrusion systems for laminates

Stay safe
Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
sandhillcowboy1

Post by sandhillcowboy1 »

Cool stuff! My first bow was a Ben Earson recurve 47# . Believe it was the Cougar. Great shooting now. I also watched Fred Bear on the American Sportsman. Great footage.
Fred’s good friend Dick Mauch had a bowstring factory just a few miles down the road. Dick and his wife had a cabin on the river here on NE and they used to hunt together for deer quite a bit. I used to buy beat supplies from Dick for making my wooden arrows.
First Christmas present from my wife was an 80# Herters long bow. Beautiful bow.
Have watched old film of Howard Hill hunting with his long bow, great. Footage.
Africa is still a dram.
SHCB1
sandhillcowboy1

Post by sandhillcowboy1 »

Dream
SHCB1
bobw

Post by bobw »

Rick, my first recurve was also a 45# Ben Pearson Cougar. Years ago I rented a Ben Pearson hunting video. Fred Bear had absolutely nothing on Ben Pearson as an archer. Video showed Ben shooting jumped pheasants, ducks on the pass as well as extremely long range shots on big game with a recurve bow. All ways wished I had gotten a copy of that video, he was an incredible archer. bobw
bobw
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah but Bear bows are like Nosler bullets, still the standard by which all other products in the same line are measured. Take the Grizzly or Kodiak models for instance that are so well designed they have not changed them since 1964 and they're still a top seller.
I like traditional bows personally and view compounds as machines on about the same level as a crossbow. They are marvelous feats of engineering, here to stay and have taken archery practical hunting range to a whole new level , but they are not bows in a traditional sense!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Not arguing about the quality of Bear recurves, I've 12-15 of them . It takes a BP sovereign line model to equal them.
bobw
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

My first attempt at a hickory self bow in the American flat bow style. Draw weight is 50 lbs at 22 inches. Got the plans on line and followed some Clay Hayes videos but other than that know nothing about primitive bow making yet. I used a hickory plank purchased from a local lumber yard stocked for steam bent, dog sled runners.
I sure am having fun with this stuff and will try some different designs. Next I want to make a recurve of hickory and then a Osage recurve.
This bow has a Zebra wood handle and Bengae knock tip overlays.
String is made of B-55 , 16 strand with loop and arrow rest servings. The string is jig made with staggered tails for tapering into the string profile.
28 inch draw would be around 80 lbs , to heavy for me at this stage of fitness.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Glen,

If you want a good dose of African hunting, go to the Accurature Reloading Forum, then to the Hunting Reports-Africa section.

Modern rifles, but many posts that might scratch your itch.

Clarence
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

That is a great link Clarence, I opened and read Lion in The Save that is the way we hunted just south of the Limpopo in South Africa, UNTIL, one day while following a wartie it was discovered that a Leopard was interested in the same beast. Since we had been asked to shoot Leopards the Leopard was followed when the track broke off from the Wart Hog. It wasn't far before it was discovered that the Leopard was now following the tracker and hunter. It was as this point that the tracker and hunter agreed that the single shot Shiloh needed to be elsewhere and otherwise engaged.

It is one thing to be the hunter and quite another to be the hunted and a man has to know his limitations. ADRENALIN
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!