Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: Barrel Help

Post by mdeland »

Good idea,I like it!
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

With this being large square threads would you lay the copper wire in the center of the grooves or along an edge?
—Tom
Woody

Post by Woody »

Lay it in the bottom of the barrel threads. It will move to proper space.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Think I got it done. .002 worth of stainless shims and just a little torque. Can’t even tell they’re there and is nice and solid. Headspaces good and the sights are level to the rifle.

What I ended up doing is ordering some round shims from McMasters at .001 each. 1 shim got me to the witness mark at a solid hand tight, 2 got me there with a little torque. I was fortunate to find shims with the correct inner diameter. Put them on the barrel and marked the outer diameter as was suggested. Took them off and trimmed them to match. Used a little oil on the shims as suggested and didn’t have any tearing or wrinkling. I just used grease on the threads so as I shoot it and watch for any loosening or tightening I can remove the barrel and add a shim or go with wire/loctite if necessary. Should be fine though.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice. Definitely helped me avoid a few errors that are obvious now having done it and I think made it turn out real nice. I also enjoyed the pictures of all of your 68’s.
—Tom
Woody

Post by Woody »

Good for you. All this talk and pictures has gotten me to pull mine out of the safe. I thought I heard some whimpering when I opened the door. :roll: I loaded 40 rounds yesterday and I think I'll shoot it this afternoon at for our club's "Deer Legal" match.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

How did you torque the barrel into the receiver? Please don't say with a pipe wrench! :lol:
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Waaaay More bubba than that. Turned my Mauser action wrench upside down to make two flat surfaces placed the brass shims to form fit the action along the flats. Bolted that together and since I didn’t have a barrel bushing that was round on top and flat on the sides so I wrapped the barrel with lead sheets and put it in the barrel vise. It slipped a little which I knew it would but the lead didn’t harm the finish or anything. Pretty easy really.

Tom
—Tom
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Woody how did the match go?
—Tom
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Now you're cooking with Boy Scout Water!!! :lol: Good Job!!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Not good. My shooting eye still doesn't want to cooperate. The original sights on the carbine were just too blurry. I shot a few for warm up prior to the start of the match. Still can't focus good enough to shoot fine irons consistently. Next appointment with the Ophthalmologist is on 3 Oct. Some days are better than others and freshly after eye drops works most of the time. The problem is with the lid, not the eye, but it effects the acuity.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Sorry to hear that woody. Hopefully your appointment turns out well!

For you Ken or Mike, which diameter bullets do you use in your 3 grove barrels? Right now I’ve got .515 but I keep reading about people having good luck with .512. I’ve got newer reloading dies that would handle .512 better so thinking of making the switch. Always interested in hearing thoughts or what’s worked well for others.
—Tom
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Loaded up a few rounds and got it shooting today. Wasn’t going for accuracy or load development, just a function check. Loaded a .515 365gr flat nose on top of 65gr of Goex FFg as I already had this stuff on hand. Was hitting about 8in high at 25 yards (kneeling). So far so good on the barrel staying put.
—Tom