Finally got the 357 Max Martini finished

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Finally got the 357 Max Martini finished

Post by mdeland »

I finally got around to making a new butt stock and rust bluing the Cadet after using it for some 4-5 seasons of Clang and bang shooting. I got the gun shooting well and just never seemed to get around to finishing it. :D
mdeland

Re: Finally got the 357 Max Martini finished

Post by mdeland »

The forearm does not match the darker color of the butt stock very well and I've stained it several times. I guess I will have to strip it and try again for a better color match. That's what happens when your so chins-y and use free wood you find under your bench. :lol:
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I really like the blueing Mike! If you can get the wood colors to match it will look great. How does it shoot? I used to load 357 Max for an Ophthalmologist that I worked with. Terry had a Ruger Blackhawk and a Ruger No. 1 Special California Hwy Patrol edition in 357 Max. Nice guns! Terry passed away about four years ago. I have often thought that the 357 Max Ruger No. 1 would have made a hell of a Scheutzen rifle.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The Max works very well out to the 200 meters I have used it with the 195 grain Lyman RN at about 1600 fps. If the sights are on at the break the steel goes down without fail. I've yet to ring a Ram with the load. It is a far better round for rifle than revolver and has capacity enough to use black powder in.
The 357 Mag is used for the lighter targets out to 150 meters. Still working with it and have switched to the 150 grain Kieth bullet with 13 grains of H-110. Was getting some flyers with it and think I found the cause with a forearm screw that was bottoming out in the barrel seat before drawing down the forearm completely.
The Max and the Wildcat both have Parker Hale receiver sights made for the cadets.
I use the little wild cat in military configuration for the 50 meter chickens and wolverines at 100 meters.