Distant Thunder

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Geologist

Distant Thunder

Post by Geologist »

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Jim at Distant Thunder? I am aware that he is closing-up shop; he is not answering e-mail nor answering the phone and the number is not taking messages. He accepted an order and cashed my check, but I have yet to receive the order. Contact me off-line if you can help.
Griff

Re: Distant Thunder

Post by Griff »

I can't help you with the contact info, but this is bad news for me. I had just decided to order one of his tang sights. Rats.

I do believe that Jim frequents some of the forums devoted to BPCR. Perhaps you can send a PM (or he will see this thread). See https://shilohrifle.com/forums/memberli ... ile&u=2247

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

He is listed on the squadding sheet for the Lodi, Wisconsin, long range black powder target rifle matches Sept 20-21.
Have not heard anything at all about him closing shop.
Yes he can be difficult to contact by telephone.
Best way I know of to contact him is a PM from this forum.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
sharps74

Post by sharps74 »

I ordered sight inserts from Jim, it took several months but it was worth the wait. He said he was way behind and would make them in order received.
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

I recently looked into one of his sporting tangs but his website says he retired
http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/index.html

-Tom
—Tom
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Wow, I did not know that.

Jim, if you see this, I hope you have a great time in retirement, and thanks for building all of that great stuff!

Chris.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

me too Jim. the sights are the best. enjoy doing Nothing but reloading....Ken
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Sad to hear but certainly understand. Love his sights. Love his inserts.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

It's true I am retiring. There have been lots of changes in my life this year and I've been behind on orders, for that I apologize. I am still working on the orders I have and I will get them out as best I can over the next month or so. I am not taking any new orders, but I do have or will have some finished products for sale going forward. I am not sure just how those will be offered at this time, I'm still working that out.

Thanks for all the kind words and for your support over the years, it has been a pleasure talking with you all.

Geologist,
The first I heard of you trying to contact me was Friday night at Lodi as we were having dinner. If you have been emailing me I have not seen anything show up in my inbox. I had to turn the shop phone off or I would never get any orders finished. I find it hard to say no to someone who calls that I can help out and I have to cut this off somewhere or I'll never retire. The Distant Thunder email is still up and will remain so for now. If you have questions on anything please contact me through that email. I try to get to those in the evenings.

I hope to meet many of you at a match somewhere in the future. Thanks!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
everetto

Post by everetto »

I am proud to own several of your sights Jim - sorry to hear you are retiring, but wishing you the best!
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I have 3 front sights along with a bunch of inserts and a tool that punches out primers and opens beer.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Congrats on your retirement, Jim. As much as I enjoyed my working life (even my USNavy life), they all paled when compared to the fun and enjoyment I've had in retirement these past 10yr. Hope your retirement is as good as mine has been.
Glenn
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Jim

I’ve never had the pleasure of working with you in the past. Would love to own one of your sporter tangs but please don’t take this as a request to come out of retirement to build one. In my line of work retirement is a sacred thing and not taken lightly. Do you know if anyone else who does or could produce them or have you passed on your information on how to build them to anyone else? Again I’m NOT asking you to do it and I hope you enjoy you’re retirement. Thanks for what you’ve done for our sport.

Tom
—Tom