Lodi match in pictures

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BFD

Re: Lodi match in pictures

Post by BFD »

Thanks Arnie. Yes, I did have really good spotters. I get lucky that way sometimes. They earned their prime ribs down at Fitz's that evening. Shooting conditions were definitely gloomy. When Jim was spotting it was just plain raining on top of that. Managing my ammo to keep it dry was a chore. And spotting scopes, both mine and Jim's quickly became pretty useless. Of course, there wasn't any mirage to look at anyway. But we sat out there in the rain until the last 30 seconds of the last relay after everyone else had picked up their stuff and left the line. Just had to get the condition, which we did. At least it was warm.

I did not go to the match hoping to win. I was there to test loads and experiment. The format of 15 shots per relay and 3 relays all from 1000 was perfect for that. On Saturday, I shot three different batches of powder, two different granulations loaded three different ways. I sure wish I could have done a repeat on Sunday. With just one day's worth of data, I can't really say which load was best. Maybe the one that gave me the worst score actually. Not really sure.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Excellent report Jim, and very good shooting Brent.
Tough conditions make for small pleasures, like when you get an X then dial in two minutes left and get a 10 @ 3:00.

Being rained out Sunday means that I have enough loaded ammo for a standard 60 shot match next year. :roll:

Keep on hav'n fun.
MikeT
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

One thing I forgot to mention is that Steve Farringer was all on his own, no spotter! There were only 2 shooters on that point and of course one had to be pulling target. The next position over kept score for him but was of no help in calling the conditions. He did an outstanding job when you consider that detail.

Good shooting, Steve!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Do you guys know what the dates will be yet for the shoot there earlier in the year for 2020?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Cliff told me the other day it will likely be on mothers day next year.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Distant Thunder

Ian,
At the shooter's meeting this past weekend Mark indicated they were looking to move away from Mother's Day weekend to possibly the following weekend and that it would again be the Creedmoor Cup Match (Thursday & Friday) followed by the Wisconsin Sate Championship Match (Saturday & Sunday).
The club will discuss that all sometime in October and I believe the final dates will be set early next year and they'll let the shooters know then.

It's hard to believe that we wouldn't have a Mother's Day match but everything changes sooner or later. I've been there on Mother's Day for 22 years, if it's a week later I can adjust. I'm just happy to know there will be matches at Lodi again next year! Some day that too will change!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well dang , if they don't move the Wy state match to the first weekend in June, then moving Lodi a week later likely going to kill my trip to Lodi.. Guess we'll know more after the club decides what weekend they can have.
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Moving it from Mother’s Day opens up the possibility that I could attend that match. It’s my closest chance to try long range. I’ve never been to one and I’ll need help.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Distant Thunder

VectorMan,
What kind of help do you need? I might be able to you with any questions.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Distant Thunder

Don,
Nothing is set in stone yet. I hope you can work it out somehow.

The majority of shooters present at the meeting liked the all 1000 relay format we had last weekend so that is likely to be the same next year for the Fall Classic and I'm okay with that. The date on that one will have to be settled too.

Mark and Cliff, as I understand it, put in for the dates they would like along with alternative dates and the club decides what dates they can have. Back in 1996 when Ernie Stallman had his first BPTR long range match in September and it was a success he began looking for another second match date in 1997. The only weekend not taken was Mother's Day weekend, so he got that one and one in late September again. So began the Mother's Day tradition. It's always been the one date you could count on, now it may become more fluid, that could be good and it could be bad time will tell. All I know is, if there's a match at Lodi I'll be there as long as I'm able to walk to the line. I've only missed one match in 22 years and I've vowed not to let that happen again.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

The weekend after mother’s day may be our n-ssa national shoots so that would knock me out I think.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jim , I'm really hoping the spring dates work for me. The fall dates are probably a no go with the BPTRA match and hunting season here, but I'm not going to write anything off just yet. Cliff will be here about 10 days from now antelope hunting.
It takes about a day and a long half to get to Lodi from here, but it's sure worth the drive.
Distant Thunder

It's important to remember that no dates are set yet and everything could be different when we get closer (early in the new year). Whatever the final dates turn out to be it's not going to work for everybody either way. It would be nice if everyone that wants to come could make it, but that ain't the way it works.

I'm just passing along the things I have heard and I have no, as in zero, control over any of it. Just like all the rest of you, I'm hoping for the best.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I understand. I may also be wrong about what I’m saying. The n-ssa nationals might be 2 weekends after mother’s day just because of the way the first of the month falls. I can’t remmeber how it works for them but at any rate you guys will pick a date that works best for you guys. It will work for some and won’t work for others.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yessir, a fella just has to look at the schedules and see what will work and which ones won't..
It is a good thing to have to make those choices.