Older Goex powders

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

longshot10x

Older Goex powders

Post by longshot10x »

I have an assortment of late 90's and early 2000's Goex. My question is what where some of the problems
that we as cartridge shooters ran into with these powders before Swiss saved the day ? Is one year better
than other years. Mike G.
Well boys lets go do something even if it is wrong!
BFD

Re: Older Goex powders

Post by BFD »

My vote is for '96 but even that I would not rate with the good Swiss.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Mix it all together and develop a load with it. then you wont have to waste as much time messing with it.
My first load I developed in my 40-65 with Goex was as good as any I've developed since, but that was about 2009 powder.
I've got a whole bunch of partial cans also that I need to do same with someday.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

I recently did the blending with misc lots of Swiss 1.5 .
beltfed/arnie
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Boy, I don't know about mixing different batches guys,especially for long range work. Probably be OK for Silhouette and perhaps mid range but consistency could be a problem though. Just a guess on my part but Bill Knight would be the guy to ask.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Mike,

Not sure what you're thinking. If you have a bunch cans of different lots, some only partial, it's almost impossible to get any meaningful use for BPCR from that powder. By mixing them all together, you have the opportunity to get 10-20 lb. of a homogenous mix, only have to work up a load once, and be able to productively use up the powder.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Mike,

I know of several good shooters that have done just that. I have not, because I shoot enough cartridge and ML shotgun to use any odd ball blackpowder I have on hand.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Mike,

I know of several good shooters that have done just that. I have not, because I shoot enough cartridge and ML shotgun to use any odd ball blackpowder I have on hand.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I've mixed different lots of powder together with good results. At least you get a larger consistent lot of powder so you aren't always testing for the best load with small lots.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'd like to see some standard deviation results on these mixed batches as that would probably be a good indication of consistency. Like I said, it is just a guess on my part that it would be an issue.
I have mixed powder batches before for my muzzle loaders but we only shoot out to 200 yards max so I could never really discern any disadvantage.
One thing for sure is the fines would be increased with the further agitation of mixing and there bad enough as it is with Goex.