Bore wipes

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Bore wipes

Post by Woody »

I've avoided this item for a long time, but recently decided it was time to give them a try. I've wiped in the past when laying in the sun for target rifle, but have been interested in giving the bore wiping methods a try for several years. I bought the BACO in .45 cal to give it wringing out.
When they arrived, "Some assembly required". What a pain the o-rings were to roll onto the base. This past weekend, after the Friday .22 match, I did some testing with my Trapdoor to see how the Baco wiping system worked. The answer was just fine. So much so that I ordered 15 more and 250 felts. They arrived on Thursday. This morning while drinking coffee, I attempted to roll the o-rings onto the bases again. After four, and worn out fingers, I decided there had to be a better way. Out to the shop. Fired up the lathe and made a tapered sleeve that slipped over the end of the base enough that the beveled edge was covered. Three minutes later the rest of the o-rings were in place and I was done. My fingertips were not worn out. If you are in the market for more of these bore wipes, I suggest making the same sleeve I did. I only took about five minutes and a short piece of scrap to make.

I plan on using these at the next Friendship match with my Trapdoor and again at the end of the month in Georgia.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Rockridge

Re: Bore wipes

Post by Rockridge »

Woody:
Since I am about to go down a similar path w/ regards to the BACO Bore Wipers; and due to a cross country move my lathe is unavailable.......Could I convince you to make another of your "adapters?

I would be happy to pay labor and postage!

Thanks!
Ed
Rockridge
Woody

Post by Woody »

PM me your address and I'll send you the one I made. I don't need it anymore.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Woody, had you considered that at some point in the future one or more of those O rings may need replacement ?

Most likely during a match ?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Rockridge

Post by Rockridge »

Woody wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:12 am PM me your address and I'll send you the one I made. I don't need it anymore.

Woody
PM inbound

Thank You Very Much!

Ed
Rockridge
Woody

Post by Woody »

DD,
Woody, had you considered that at some point in the future one or more of those O rings may need replacement ?
Not a problem. I still have a lathe and a box of scrap.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

DD,
Not a problem. I still have a lathe and a box of scrap.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Oh, so that lathe and box of scrap accompany you to matches? Interesting.
Wonder if overloading a vehicle normally results in tire failure?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I've been using the BA bore wipers for nearly 4 years and have yet to have an O-ring fail. If I did, I reckon it wouldn't be a problem at a match, you usually have more than one in use. :wink:
I read somewhere that someone was having trouble with them leaving a wet chamber, just push them through with a dry patch, that's what Dave does,
works for me.
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
Woody

Post by Woody »

Didn't get to the range until after the morning calm conditions were gone. I had a ten round string to test. I wrung out the felts as much as I could, using a potato ricer. Accuracy was excellent considering the conditions and I considered the test a success, but when cleaning after, I still had an excess of leading. Something I don't experience when blowing tubing. Hmm.

Woody

Brent, I did "taste" or "kiss" the followup patch to detect moisture and found none.
Richard A. Wood
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Hi Woody

I was certainly surprised when I saw the lead that came out after your first trial of bore wipes a couple weeks ago!

I have been using the BACO bore wipes for only 9 months, but it has been several thousand rounds.
As we discussed recently, I have fought leading a little in the past, but not recently. I am of the belief that in my case it was a COL issue which put a driving band in the wrong place.

I have never tried to wring out the felts. I saturate them by dipping them in the solution for a couple seconds, then removing. They are pretty well saturated, but never dripping. I push through a very slightly dampened patch behind the bore wipe. This patch is squeezed out as much as possible with a lemon squeezer.

But, I am using MPro7 as my solution, which may be either better or worse than the solution you have tried.
You are certainly welcome to try some MPro7 when I see you at Friendship in a little over a week.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Woody,
It sounds as though your wipe things are working well enough.

FWIW, my gophers have the same felts as the wipes. I just flick them a little to get the excess dihydrogen oxide off. No hydrocarbons of any type are used in the secret sauce formula.

Of course the real secret to leading prevention does involve hydrocarbons, only in solid state. But I digress.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Brent,
But I digress.
Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to even go here, "bore wipes". You don't think I'm going to diaper my projectiles anytime soon do you? :lol: :roll:

Woody

That dihydrogen oxide is some nasty stuff. The only way I can stomach it is with some Lynchburg. I don't want to waste any, running it through the bore.
Richard A. Wood
BFD

Post by BFD »

Woody wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:25 pm Brent,
But I digress.
Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to even go here, "bore wipes".
That's why real men use bore GOPHERS. :)
You don't think I'm going to diaper my projectiles anytime soon do you? :lol: :roll:
You may as well come out into the light. Sooner or later you are going to realize that you've been missing the boat. Hurry up while there is still time.

That dihydrogen oxide is some nasty stuff. The only way I can stomach it is with some Lynchburg. I don't want to waste any, running it through the bore.
Well, it is a universal solvent. But you can handle it - or water it down with some George Dickel or whatever that stuff is you slurp, and maybe it will tame down. :)
Woody

Post by Woody »

Rockridge,

Forgot to let you know. I did mail the item to you on Wednesday. You should see it today or tomorrow.

Woody
Richard A. Wood