Bore wipes

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: Bore wipes

Post by Woody »

Rockridge,

Forgot to let you know. I did mail the item to you on Wednesday. You should see it today or tomorrow.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

Woody wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:57 pm Didn't get to the range until after the morning calm conditions were gone. I had a ten round string to test. I wrung out the felts as much as I could, using a potato ricer. Accuracy was excellent considering the conditions and I considered the test a success, but when cleaning after, I still had an excess of leading. Something I don't experience when blowing tubing. Hmm.

Woody

Brent, I did "taste" or "kiss" the followup patch to detect moisture and found none.
[/quote)

woody,
Do you use the Baco bore wipes with the trapdoor and if so how do they work? Am thinking to get some.
Do you push them from the muzzle or the breech ?

Jim O
Woody

Post by Woody »

Yes you can use them with a trapdoor. Insert the wipe, follow with a dry clean patch, and push it with a delrin rod. The flex of the delrin will make the "S" curve to push from the breach. I plan on using them this weekend at Friendship during the Military match on Saturday.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

Yes you can use them with a trapdoor. Insert the wipe, follow with a dry clean patch, and push it with a delrin rod. The flex of the delrin will make the "S" curve to push from the breach. I plan on using them this weekend at Friendship during the Military match on Saturday.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Rockridge

Post by Rockridge »

Woody:
Adapter received in today's mail.
Thank you!

Ed
Rockridge
Woody

Post by Woody »

Shot the matches at Friendship this past weekend. Saturday was our military match and I pushed the bore wipes for the entire match. I used a 10% Napa cutting oil solution. At the end of the day, I experienced vertical dispersion on all of the lay-down animals. Most I attribute to sight picture. Remember, I was shooting an original Trapdoor with a post front sight. My eyes don't see as well as they used to. I missed too many pigs, so I think some of the vertical might have been the method of wiping. After the match, I pulled an obscene amount of lead out of the bore. I could feel it and most of it was just in front of the chamber. Today, knowing that there was probably more to mine, I detail cleaned the bore. I again pulled a large quantity of lead. I think I got it all this time. I had planned on wiping in Georgia next week while shooting the Trapdoor on the 600 yard line. I'm starting to rethink. I do have a few extra rounds and Steve (Aviator) provided me with some MPro7 to try as a wiping solution.

The leading was so bad on Saturday, that on Sunday, I chose to use a blow tube for the match. After 40 shots for record and sighters, I cleaned at the end of the day. Two small specks is all that showed on the patches. I was shooting my Shiloh 77 in 45-90.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

What I forgot to mention in the previous post was that the bullet used in both the Trapdoor and the Shiloh were the same 500 grain BACO Government.

Today, I did a follow-up test of wiping. I did not change my wiping solution but I did change my technique. Instead of a dry patch following the bore wipe, I used a damp patch, followed by a dry chamber wipe. This allowed the bore to be coated with a thin film of 10% Napa cutting oil. After shooting 10 shots, I thoroughly cleaned the bore. The first patch and only the first patch showed a few large flakes of lead. The following patches showed no lead or any trace of powder fouling. I now feel that the previous horrid leading was caused by the too clean and dry barrel condition. By pushing the bore wipe with a damp patch, I reintroduced a conditioning agent, (10% soluntion NAPA cutting oiiil), into the bore.

Next test may be a few weeks out, after Georgia and Friendship. Then I think I'll test the MPR07 that Steve is using. He was gracious enough to provide me enough to give it thorough test.

I don't thing it will be much of an issue during the Georgia match. Temps and humidity should not be an issue.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
BFD

Post by BFD »

One day, Woody, you will finally let yourself discover the wonders of cellulose. :)
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Well that's encouraging, Woody!
Sometimes it surprising what a seemingly small change will do!
Woody

Post by Woody »

I have dipped into the "dark" arts of wrapping, but have yet to be smitten. I have been thinking of cutting a PP mould to play some more. I have several blank mould block sets I obtained from Steve Brooks and several brass block blanks from Bernie of Old West Bullets. Time. So many projects and so little time.

Woody

Steve,

I picked up the scallops etc yesterday. Bring your appetite. If you want to burn some beef, bring a steak and I'll have the taters and corn to got with it.
Richard A. Wood
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Cool!
We love to burn beef!