Front sight sanity check

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

VenisonRX

Front sight sanity check

Post by VenisonRX »

Working with an original sharps carbine in 50-70 and it’s hitting about 11in high at 50 yards. Haven’t tried further yet. Making sure I’m thinking about this the right way. Probably I’ll still be hitting high at 100 and the solution is I need a taller front sight? Using 65gr of FFg and a 365gr bullet. I do plan to switch to 450 but I had the shorter ones on hand.
—Tom
Tomklinger

Re: Front sight sanity check

Post by Tomklinger »

Pretty much all of the originals front sights are worn down quite a bit, it's easy to make a taller front sight.....
Tom
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Thanks Tom. Just wanted to make sure I was thinking about this the right way before I removed the front sight blade. Since I don’t have one to pattern off of, any idea on what height is a good starting point? Was looking to use an older penny or brass key.

Tom
—Tom
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

VenisonRX,
.180 extending above top of the sight mount should put you where you need to be...
Tom
Woody

Post by Woody »

Make it "taller" than you expect. You can then bring to the correct final height. I replaced the front sight blade on my Colt Dragoon three times before I got it "tall" enough.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Make it "taller" than you expect. You can then bring to the correct final height. I replaced the front sight blade on my Colt Dragoon three times before I got it "tall" enough.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I have used German silver before and it's easy to do. use soft solder...No need to silver.
silver is ok. and strong of course, but use steel if you do that....It could blow the brass.

silver solder, and a map gas, oxygen setup from the hardware store,
or use Map gas alone, again from the Hardware store and put it in a fire brick
setup to keep the heat in...it will melt the silver solder, and it's done for life....
a brick laid down, and one standing up on it...then put the sight back near the edge and it will reflect the heat.
use a set of dark welders glasses to protect your eyes too.
sounds hard but it's not....

luck...Ken
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

This one looks like it pins in. It’s not dovetailed on the front of the barrel the base is brazed on and the blade pinned in. Is it a combo of solder and pin?
—Tom
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

In the past, when I didn't want to mess with ann original, I fashioned an extension to the sight, fit it flush and tight to the top, then just tin soldered it in place. held and never had a problem. you could think about that.
or, slowly drift the pin and see if it can just be replaced that way.

let me know...Ken
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

I ended up taking some measurements. A penny is just a hair too thin for the groove with the pin so I may just file the brass with a notch and solder the penny in place.
—Tom