Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: Another keeper Roller

Post by Woody »

That should be a thumper.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I spent the day fitting my 40-65 Winchester 86 with a MVA Soule tang sight and a aperture front. I then loaded up a ladder test of loads. I also loaded a ladder test for my Winchester 85 High Wall also in 40-65. If I can get both of these shooting up to par, It's my plan to bring these to Raton next year instead of the rifles I have been shooting there the last few years. No reason, other than I just want to. If the weather co-ops tomorrow, I'll punch a holes in paper.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Both great rifles Woody. I do love the Hi and low Walls as well. What event do you use the lever gun in at Raton?
Woody

Post by Woody »

Lever Gun Silhouette. It's shot at the same time of year as the BPCR and the .22 Silhouette matches. More bang for the trip.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Sounds like fun to me. I sure get a kick out using these ole "Safe Queens" for competitive events . I don't score as high as I used to with dedicated event guns but it's lots more fun to get some of the guns rarely used back in action.
I see a lot of the guys now, at our monthly clang and bang matches, bring out their old military guns ,loading up lead and "whannging" away at the steel.
Some of them use a different rifle for each of the four banks of targets and are having a hoot of a time with them. :lol:
Woody

Post by Woody »

Yep.

The last couple of years, I shot my Winchester 94 in 38-55 WCF. It was made in 1896 and is a takedown octagon rifle with a mint bore. This 86 was manufactered in 1888. It's a, round barreled rifle. The bore was a sewer pipe with a internal bulge, the condition was great as was the price. I drilled and reamed it for a liner and locktited it per directions from Michael Lewis. I also swaged the breech end with a ball peen hammer. He then welded the muzzle, faced it, distressed it, and crowned it. Shoots like a house-a-fire, and unless I told you, the liner seam is invisible.

I installed the aperture front sight only for load development. For the match, it's within the current rules, but I like a post after trying the aperture last year. I'll also shoot either my Winchester 73 or 92 both in 44-40 for the pistol cal. event.

I'm not competitive, but am having fun and it's about the only time these rifles get to see the light of day.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Been invited to a Guns and Coffee time at a local friends house and each week we each bring a different gun to show and tell. Been looking at some real nice original iron from some of the fellas who have the money to buy the good stuff. What an education I'm getting from this small group of gun cranks.
One of the guys is a retired dentist and he has one of the nicest collections of original Hepburns I have ever seen. Last week he was showing a 44-90 straight , target model with heel and tang sights and a globe up front, all original.
I show my old beater rebuilds but get so see some real deal original stuff one seldom gets a chance to look over and handle. Sure am blessed to see the guns this ole gentleman shares with us.
Odd in that I have no desire to own them personally but sure am happy he has them and allows us to look em over and learn so much about them.