Another keeper Roller

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: Another keeper Roller

Post by mdeland »

Thanks John and Woody, that tip will be a welcome addition to fiddling with a spider and shims, which has been my previous method. Works fine but takes quite a bit of time to get running true.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

No barrel has a perfectly straight bore any way and is the reason a floating reamer chuck is used for the most accurate chambering. The muzzle should probably also be cut with one as well with a custom ground crown tool but in a crown , being an exterior cut , any slight dimensional deviation from coaxial can be feathered out when dressing with emery paper.
The other thing is reamer pilots, even with floating pilot, tend to leave at least some radial scratches and agitation on the land tops, where the chips get between bore and pilot.
This is one of the reasons I like to lap a bore after it has been chambered and crowned.
Pope was particular about this as well in as much as he would chamber a barrel before rifling the reamed bore. To my knowledge Pope did not use floating piloted reamers or chucks and is probably why he would not waste any time on a barrel that was not as straight as he could bore it.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I need a lathe
I have SO many guns I want to screw up!
OK..I'll leave it to experts like you to do this..I'll just watch.

I have crowned barrels with success, Including my Shiloh 40, using the crown kit from Midway.
go slow and it works and accuracy is better.

I've done 50 cal , and 40's that way. You need the right caliber bore insert though....
Ken
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Great thread with lots of information and knowledge shown.
THANK YOU :!:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

One of the reasons I went into so much detail about lapping is so folks won't screw up a barrel. Lapping is not difficult if one learns the principles and some particulars to follow but like anything it can lead to problems if done incorrectly.
I still screw things up on a lathe and I've been at it since high school shop classes. Truth is I've probably learned more by messing some thing up while trying new ideas then I ever did by success the first time out.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks. Good info here from all, from one that is just self taught late in life the kinks of lathe and mill.
As an aside Mike. Any idea why Remington gave away the stud extractor? It seems a good solid idea with no moving parts.
Wondering whether to try it before milling my barrel slot.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

My guess is the sliding extractor was more reliable and possibly easier to make. I much prefer the rotary extractor of later models as it can be adapted to both rim and rimless case design and does not weaken the barrel shank with the long longitudinal mortise cut.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well a Shiloh she ain't but the Ole Girl acts like she wants to shoot! I was really pleased with how well the pitted up bore did and with no leading but a few specks on the cleaning patch. I scoped and plug gauged the bore again and no lead in the interior . Also , no sticky extraction.
We might want to give a second look at these old derelicts that we think need to be rebarreled and aren't worth keeping in original form.
Two 50 meter groups and nothing to howl about but the scope was very hard to hold still so far above the bore and with so much stock drop. The three fliers were very likely my fault as the others wanted to stick pretty well together.I will be leaving it in .43 Spanish. Can't wait to try black and duplex loads.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Actually, when one thinks about it, all a bore needs do is impart the spin to the bullet and not change it's interior dimension from lead or powder fouling. If a pitted bore can provide these as well as a new barrel, there is no physical reason that it should not produce the same accuracy level.
I keep seeing this same scenario played out in rough bores, that pits in a bore, if not in the throat or crown, and do not cause fouling, have very little if any effect on accuracy.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well got around to slugging the bore tonight and run it through my Powelly gauge to measure 3-5 and 7 groove barrels. The bore is .4355 and the groove is .4467. Kind of weird that the bullets I was shooting were .442 diameter and shot quite well with no leading.
I have some .348 brass coming to form cases with and will need to cut a mold of .447 diameter. Having a real hoot getting this ole girl active again!
I'd like to get her going for next months Clang and bang match for chickens and perhaps pigs. :D
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

I found Lyman 446110 to shoot well in most 43 Spanish rollers except for the 1879 Argentine where I had Bernie at Old West molds make a special one with a fat nose that would get to the rifling across a long freebore.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Here is a new bullet I cut two weeks ago and it seems to shoot quite well. I put it back in the four jaw after casting a few slugs and cut a small ring just ahead of the upper grease groove that rides the lands and keeps the point better centered on the trip up bore. Needs more testing but the first time out it showed some real promise with both the 10 grain unique load and the 50,5 black/smokeless duplex load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The cases are .348 Hornady die and lathe trimmed at the base over the web area. All the flash holes needed to be reamed out as they were compressed from the swage down up to the web by the sizing dies I kept cracking until reinforced with pressed on steel skirt rings, at the base.
Lee dies are not strong enough without the reinforcing rings added as I split two before realizing they needed to be beefed up. Split # 3 after they they were trimmed down and needed a final sizing nudge. Never would happen with an RCBS or Forrester dies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

You might wonder how the dies will screw in the press with the swaged on reinforcing ring. Well the top of the die over the neck area needs to be trimmed down with a carbide tool in the lathe tool post and then they are screwed in from the press window under side.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The final version after the upper bore riding ring was added. Should be an excellent game bullet as well.