My Shiloh Journey

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Re: My Shiloh Journey

Post by bobw »

In the early days of the buffalo hunt, just about any Sharps could be found on the plains and a lot of them were military type models. bobw
bobw
Griff

Post by Griff »

One year ago today I stopped in at Shiloh and put down the deposit for my rifle! I'm celebrating the fact that it's getting closer! That day my bride and I took a nice drive up into the Crazies; today we're driving up into the Cascades. I'll be wearing the Shiloh hat that I bought last year and daydreaming...

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Fwiw, most people claiming that BN cartridges are finicky don't have much experience with them. Something like a 44-77 is still reasonable, not really overbore. When overbore, it actually doesn't matter a lot of straight or BN, they just are Tricky.
My easiest cartridge to load for is my favourite, no.2 musket. Just threw together a load, entered a match and won...
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I've been pleasantly surprised with the little 43 Spanish BN cartridge I just got going last winter. Its a huge cartridge for the little bitty load of ten grains of Unique behind a 400 grain bullet and no wad of any kind but shoots like a house afire with the combination. Does really well with dulplex loads of reloader 7 and 1.5 Swiss.
Need to try straight black now that I have more cases to use. Making brass from .348 cases is a bunch of work and requires some lathe turning over the web area.
It's the first BN black powder case I've ever worked with.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Griff, you said you wanted it as original as possible looking well # 1 get the bone & charcoal case hardening # 2 get fire blued screws # 3 get the polished barrel these 3 things were std on Sharps rifles in the 1870's.44-77 2 1/4" sbn were never used with greasers for the buffalo hunt but a 297 grease groove express bullet was available later. So I'm say get a ppb mold and forget the greasers. By all means do as you like. Bobw
bobw
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

You need to listen to bobw. Otherwise, I see a train wreck shaping up. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

Also, barrel sights, or graduated tang sights would be period correct for a proper buffalo rifle. Soule sights came way too late and would not be right.
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

Make sure you ask for bone/charcoal case colors and get a Hartford front sight from Stephen Borud, he makes a perfect, historical correct front sight for the Sharps.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
Griff

Post by Griff »

Thanks for all of the input, gents! I do appreciate it.

It's good to have passed the halfway point of the waiting list.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Just started my Shiloh journey. Order placed for a Sporter #1 in 40-50SS, fancy wood, AA finish, 30" std half-round fast-twist barrel, DST & steel buttplate. Should be good for BPCR & mid-range fun. Quoted delivery of 16-18 months.
Glenn
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

add polished barrel. and the 40 50 SS is a little light. may consider the 40 70 ss. you can always load it down.
I have the 40 70 and love it. Ken
Griff

Post by Griff »

I'm bringing up my old thread in which I documented the process that I am going through with my Shiloh order. I've always been just a touch foggy about the order process, but I thought that I understood. I learned something today which I wish that I'd known some time ago.

I first placed my order in August, 2019. At that time, I gave them some basic specifications, knowing that I'd likely make some changes along the line. Since I was still researching and asking questions, I did change my mind a few times on a number of those specifications. I didn't want to bug the kind folks at Shiloh by contacting them every time that I changed what I wanted (although I called and emailed a few times with questions), but I kept a specification list in my notes awaiting the letter announcing that the gun was about to go into production. In several of those emails, I did say that I was making planning to change several things from what I had told them initially.

I got my letter yesterday and called today to go over the specifications. One change from what I originally told them in 2019 was the barrel length. I had specified a 32 inch barrel, but I finalized on a 30 inch barrel. Here's what I didn't know until today: That change puts me into a different production lot. They are about to start the 32 and 34 inch heavy barrel rifles. After that is another lot that is likely 30 inch light barrels. The one after that might be for 30 inch heavy barrels, but she wasn't sure. I was SO tempted to go back to a 32 inch barrel just to get into this production lot, but I decided to try to be patient.

I'm just disappointed. If I had known that the change in barrel length would change the production lot (and push me well into 2022 for completion), I would have updated my specifications as I went along. I thought that I was being polite by not bugging them every time I decided to change something; I didn't know that it would cost me many months of waiting. Like I said, I thought that I knew how this worked, but I guess that I didn't.

As long as I'm updating my thread, I should mention what I decided. My goal, as I've stated before, is to mimic a common Sharps from the early 1870s. I'm going with a Hartford Model, 44-77 with a 30 inch heavy octagon barrel.

Like I said, I wish that I had known that a change in the barrel length would lead to a much longer wait, but now I know. Don't scold me too much for my ignorance...

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

I have 3 of them with Barrels 32" and over. Wouldn't change a thing.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I really like the 32 inch barrels.
In the end you absolutely need to follow your gut on this first rifle. Then figure out what you did or didn't like about it on the second one.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Griff,

Since you may have a lot of time on your hands now, how about sharing the specifications
of the rifle you will be expecting next year.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT