New Sharps shooter

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coltwcf44

New Sharps shooter

Post by Coltwcf44 »

Hello all, I'm new on this forum and new to shooting a Sharps. I have a Shiloh Sharps 45 70 Montana Roughrider. I've taken it out a few times and am getting more familiar with it. So far I have shot out to 300 yards and am pleased with my progress. Next time I take her out I'm planning to try 400 yards. I also shoot CAS and reload for that, all smokeless. The only black powder I've shot for Frontier Cartridge category in Cowboy action, I bought from Buffalo Arms. I've never reloaded black powder so I've been reloading smokeless for my Sharps. I'm loading 405 and 500 grain bullets over AA 5744. Before I try loading black I need to gain some knowledge to do it right and be safe. What would be the best way to educate myself on loading black powder? I'm located in Northern Colorado near the Wyoming stateline. Would rather be in Wyoming, since Colorado ain't what it used to be. Anyway, are there any long range matches held near me? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Don McDowell

Re: New Sharps shooter

Post by Don McDowell »

Assuming you're near the border and on the front range you have a few good options to shoot.
1 Cheyenne Rifle and Pistol club holds a few midrange target rifle matches in the summer.
2 Smithmoor Range at Carpenter Wy holds monthly silhouette matches.
3. The Golden Gun Club shoots silhouette monthly at Watkins.
4.The BPTRA shoots quite a few mid and long-range matches at the Colorado Rifle Club about 1/2 way between Ft. Morgan and Byers.

Going to blackpowder loading isn't any big deal, 72 grains of Olde Eynsford 2f with a .030 fiber wad under the 405 gr bullet. 70 grains with a .030 fiber wad under the 500 gr bullet. You can either use your expander die (if using Lyman, Redding, or RCBS dies) to compress the powder, or buy a seperate die to compress the powder. You will need to back your seating die off from the smokeless loads, so that the only crimp is just enough to take the flare out of the case mouth.
You can also load 75 grains of OE 2f in Hornady cases , a thin card wad, dry lubed felt wad under a .446 diameter 525 to 535 gr,money bullet cast from 16-1, patched in Seth Cole 55y for a very good paper patch load.
With greasers you can get by with a blow tube if the bullets are lubed with a good BPCR lube. Paper patch you'll need to wipe between shoots for your best target accuracy.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Coltwcf44

Post by Coltwcf44 »

Don, thanks for the reply and for sharing your information. That gives me an idea of the supplies I will need to give black powder loading a try. Should get me started anyway. I will look at the websites of the clubs you mentioned. Hopefully I can get to some of the matches and check things out. I'm about 40 miles south of Cheyenne so Carpenter is not far at all.
semtav

Post by semtav »

welcome to the forum colt. You seem to be in the middle of a lot of BP shooting so no doubt you will catch on pretty well !!
semtav

Post by semtav »

Only thing you really need that you didn't need for shooting smokeless is
1. A compression die to compress the BP a bit. ( doesn't have to be a boughten type either)
2. A blowtube if you are going to shoot your grease groove bullets (this can be a case with a hose attached to the back or even just a hose of the right dia)
3. the proper lube
4. over powder wads if you arent using them now (made or boughten)

Its as simple as figuring out where you seat your bullet now, and put enough black powder in to fill that gap under it, adding a thin wad and putting a bullet in to touch the wad.

use the compression die if you want to add more powder and keep the bullet at the same height or to push the wad down.

make a couple and you will wonder what all the mystery was about.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I believe, weather permitting they will be shooting BPCR silhouette on the 16th at Carpenter. Might be worth the trip just to go see what goes on.
If you head east on 14 and turn north at Briggsdale, may be you're easiest route to get there.

Also at Alliance Ne, they have a couple of good long range gong matches, the first weekend in May, and the last weekend in July, along with a few monthly matches thru the summer, and the Sagebrush match in August.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Coltwcf44

Post by Coltwcf44 »

Thanks for all of the replies and info. I will keep all of it in mind and put it to use. I'm sure after I load a few test rounds it will make more sense and get easier. Just like with anything, there's a learning period.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

WELCOME :!:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
RockShooter

Post by RockShooter »

Colt....

Welcome to BPCR. Pay close attention to what those guys are sharing with you. They and several others helped me get started with BPCR loading and Paper Patching 2-3 years back. I have had some excellent success with running black powder through my 45-90 Shiloh and since I'm in your neighborhood could directly show you a bit of what I've learned regarding BP loading, if you are so inclined. I also live about 40 miles south of Cheyenne, but on the side of Milner mountain. I do not target shoot competitively (yet), just plinking and hunting, but If you're interested at all, send me a private message.

RockShooter
"Vegetarian" - Old Indian word for poor hunter.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Welcome aboard.
Coltwcf44

Post by Coltwcf44 »

Again, thanks to all for the words of welcome and the info. Wish I could make it to the match in Carpenter on the 16th, but our cowboy match is that day as well, and I haven't shot since August due to harvest going on in September and October. But I hope to make it there soon. Rock Shooter thanks for your generous offer for some hands on experience. I may take you up on that sometime this winter.

Colt