Tang sight for a Roller

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Perentie

Tang sight for a Roller

Post by Perentie »

I have a Hoke tang sight I was going to put on my Rolling Block. It has markings up to 3 1/2 inches on the staff. By the time I mount it I lose an inch of elevation as its about an inch from the pivot to the 0 on the staff.
Looking at a Pedersoli Soule it has about 1 1/2 inches from the pivot to the 0 on the staff so less elevation is lost.
Rolling Blocks seem to have more drop.
Do others with Rolling Blocks prefer a Soule sight for this reason or will the 2 1/2 inches of usable staff give me enough for 1000 yds.
BFD

Re: Tang sight for a Roller

Post by BFD »

The only way to really answer this is to say that you need about 127 MOA or about 1.33" above your 200 yds zero.

The latter number is assuming a 36" sight radius and sort of average BC and velocities for a .45 paper-patched bullet, not that a grease groove will be a whole lot different.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks. Its a 40-72 chambered PP only with the Jim 395 415E
Sounds like the Hoke might do it.
I havnt put the build on here as only Mike likes Rollers :wink:
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Yes, but then again he also has a canoe.... :P
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I suspect there are lots of closet Roller lovers out their but for some reason seem ashamed to admit it! And................ one could very well use a Roller for a canoe paddle with very little chance of ever hurting it in the least. The "tongue depressor grade walnut wood" commonly used in the stocks wouldn't know the difference! :lol: Probably be a good BP clean up method! Now can you imaging using a burl stocked Sharps for such an emergency? Makes me shudder to think such a thing! :lol:
Reminds me of a hunting friend of mine who once had to use his Yamaha guitar to paddle ashore after breaking his canoe paddle on the Keni river. :lol: :lol: :lol: That deal really cracked me up!