Postal Shoots

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Distant Thunder

Re: Postal Shoots

Post by Distant Thunder »

Brent,
I have had my water/oil patches freeze in the past. So now I just set them in front of the heater, at least something stays warm that way. Your weather will be here tomorrow. Enjoy it while it lasts, it will be too hot in July to do anything without sweating your a$$ off!

We did have one nice week here this year...…., no, no that was last year..... or maybe it was the year before I think. I know it's been wet and cold (below normal) here all year. The wettest year on record, beating the old record set last year.

There's one corn field here that had cattails growing in it! That's pretty wet! Now they're threatening us with more snow than normal, but that hasn't started yet so I remain hopeful that they're wrong on that one.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Can I shoot out the window so I don't have to leave my ceiling fan and my recliner? :lol:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Jim,
In July, I migrate to Raton.

I'll figure out something when the time comes but who has a heater on the bench when they are shooting? I suppose you have a heated stool to perch on too? Man, all the luxuries.

:)

Anyway, I've got some ammo to shoot already, so I'm good to go. Then I'll need to start loading some test loads for compression.

It would be interesting (to me at least) if we all reported our group sizes (even the big ones) along with our powder lot numbers, granulation, and compression. I think we could all learn something about modern powder. More data is always more betterer.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

BFD wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:52 am Mike, a German 25-ring works very well. The bull is colored through the 18 ring. That gives a 12" diameter aiming point. The dark red versions sold by SPG Products (Larry Baker) or the NMLRA are, but a substantial margin, the best targets available. But since we are talking about shooting for groups, anything that works for you is good.
The ASSRA forum also sells the German 25-ring target jeffer1942@gmail.com. Their's are black on one side and orange on the other and they also include repair centers if you are keeping your group under 3 MOA.
Glenn
BFD

Post by BFD »

The ASSRA targets really suck, imho, when shooting irons. Worst target I know of.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

The Wyoming Schutzen Union makes a good target, SPG is where I get mine.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

BFD wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:01 pm The ASSRA targets really suck, imho, when shooting irons. Worst target I know of.
That's one of the best recommendations I can think of.
Glenn
BFD

Post by BFD »

SSShooter wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:51 pm
BFD wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:01 pm The ASSRA targets really suck, imho, when shooting irons. Worst target I know of.
That's one of the best recommendations I can think of.
Well, there you go then. I'd be happy to shoot against anyone that is forced to use that target at 200 yds with iron sights. ASSRA "any sight" matches default to scope matches because of the flavor of orange that they use. WSU/PSU and NMLRA targets of the same dimensions but with an intelligently chosen color (deep red) that allows iron sight shooters to compete on a level playing field with scope shooters. You can see both the bull and the bullet holes with those targets. But use an ASSRA if you wish. Won't bother me.
semtav

Post by semtav »

OK
Probably should just start and see how it works out

2 questions
should we take the first one from now til Dec 31?
Never done a string method. hows it done
BFD

Post by BFD »

String method is for measuring accuracy, not precision. It is the sum for each shot from the center of the bull to the center of each bullet hole. If you are just going for group size, you aren't interested in distance from center. You could use the geometric center of the group, but that is a PITA to compute and then measure.

I'm thinking a November target might be fun. Thanksgiving gives me a little extra time to get some bullets on paper.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Colt,

I don't have a problem with that, just be sure the window is open!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
BFD

Post by BFD »

Maybe MLV will join in shooting from his window. He's got the sweet "professional" set up.