Good article for Veterans Day

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Good article for Veterans Day

Post by TexasMac »

Totally off the subjects of Sharps and BPCRs, but a good article for Veterans Day.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/the- ... -yamamoto/

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Michael Johnson

Re: Good article for Veterans Day

Post by Michael Johnson »

I highly recommend the book "Get Yamamoto" by Burke Davis. I believe it was first published in 1969. I checked it out of our high school library in the early 1970s. The book reveals all of the planning and logistics that went into this mission. Thanks Wayne!
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

A good read Wayne, Thanks for sharing it with us.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Good story.
I worked on Bougainville from 1974 until 1980 for the Dept of Agriculture. We sailed there from Kavieng on New Ireland where my wife and I had built a Ferro cement yacht.
It was while anchored at Kieta we met Al and Eva Fox off the yacht Foxtrot. They were American and Al had served in some Air wing but I cant remember the details. I had mentioned that Yamomoto,s plane was in the mountains here and Al was dead keen to get a souvenir.
It had been pretty much hacked about by the locals that use any useful metal stuff they can find but I organised for a couple to lead Al up the mountain to see it.
On that day I was due to drive to Buin so gave Al a lift along with his bag and trusty hacksaw and arranged to pick him up on the return trip.
So late that PM I come back and there is Al with a big grin and a blade off the prop over his shoulder. I guess it travelled with him in the yacht untill he got back home.
I believe now its become some sort of tourist attraction.