40 70 SS die

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kenny s

40 70 SS die

Post by kenny s »

I have a Shiloh 40 70 SS
I just ordered 100 cases from BA as usual. the ARE back in stock by the way.

They are made for the Shiloh chamber, yet I have to full length size them first.
the last 1/4 inch won't seat. OK..I do this...but its hard work in my
Lyman full length sizing die marked 40 70 SS H-12
I feel this is over sizing them... after fire forming they work fine, no resizing at all.

Is there a full length die made specifically for the Shiloh chamber? Mine is 15 yrs old.

thanks..Ken
Blackstone

Re: 40 70 SS die

Post by Blackstone »

I just got 200 from baco . I have to full length size them to . Its no big deal . If you can't get them in ur rifle ya gotta sizem . I got 30-40 remington brass ive had for 15 years .
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I have several hundred pieces each of the 30-40 Remington brass , Rocky Mountain Cartridge and Jamison only the 30-40 rims are a touch to thick for my chamber and shave a tiny bit of brass when closing the action. Since getting the Jamison brass it is my ‘ match brass’ along with RMC brass. As for dies I have Redding and RCBS , the RCBS dies are bigger than the Redding dies and are a perfect match to my chamber. Fire formed and prepped brass gets ran through the RCBS sizing die before loading to round out case mouths that may have been bumped through cleaning/handling. The RCBS dies barely if at all touch the brass with no real sizing.
Every B/P cartridge I load for ends up with several sets of dies to get what I need for getting good fitting cartridges. Kenny your rifle was made about the same time as mine. Consistent accuracy was elusive for me with the stretched brass either with GG or PP. Everything has improved with better brass a good PP mould and is consistent. I have spent more time and money on the 40-70 SS than any other gun I own. The education has been valuable and a pleasurable pursuit with improving results.
All new brass gets full length resized in the RCBS size die which is perfect for my chamber.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

"I have spent more time and money"-----I hear you. My 40-70SS has been a pain in the ass to make shoot, and still gets cranky at times. Enough so that I won't hunt with it on a regular basis. But when it works, it is really a sight to behold. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
TAA

Post by TAA »

My 40 cal 2 1/2 was made across the street. The only brass I've played with is Hornady 405 Winch. Other than trimming to length to fit the gun's chamber, the cases have never been sized and are loaded as-fired. They are annealed after each firing.

Next on the list....get into PP bullets.

Tom
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

thanks guys. I will size and then anneal and then forget.
just wondering. BA cases are good. Horneday 30 40 Craig base.
just to let you know. it will shoot in 1 1/2 inches at 100 if I do my part.

I load 67 1 1/2 Swiss but the go to load in the 18880's was 65 grains. and this round was the most accurate back then for target .
I'm happy with it...

67 swiss, two veggies 1/8 comp, 360 custom two diameter PP BA mold, 1 in 20 , BA 9 lb paper damp wrapped.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

thanks guys. I will size and then anneal and then forget.
just wondering. BA cases are good. Horneday 30 40 Craig base.
just to let you know. it will shoot in 1 1/2 inches at 100 if I do my part.

I load 67 1 1/2 Swiss but the go to load in the 18880's was 65 grains. and this round was the most accurate back then for target .
I'm happy with it...

67 swiss, two veggies 1/8 comp, 360 custom two diameter PP BA mold, 1 in 20 , BA 9 lb paper damp wrapped.
TAA

Post by TAA »

Looks like we are close in load selection. My powder is Old E 1 1/2, 68-grains, but a Paul Jones greaser.

Will be interesting to see what powder charge weight works with the PP bullet.

Tom
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I've tried 65 and 67 and 70 , but 67 works best for me Tom,,,,
of course, different brass means different compression too. Ken
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Kenny s,
Kirk recommended RCBS dies when I got my 40-70SS. I use 405 brass.
After FL sizing the Hornady brass, they slip right in, no problems.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

thanks Mike. I fired a few of the 100 new BA shells I've just received, annealed all of them, trim looks ok as is, and I'll bevel the inside on each.
Now, to fireform them
the few I've fireformed slid right back in..so they're ok to fire.

big job.....but fun...Ken