Just had to do it again, a new Sporter...

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Just had to do it again, a new Sporter...

Post by opencountry »

Tonight I placed an order for another Sporter, a #3 in 45-110, 30" 16# bull-barrel, standard chamber, semi-buckhorn rear barrel sight, heavy antique metal & wood finish, MVA LR Buffalo, and 113 front, and a little revision to the all-wood forearm. Another paper-eater (pp). I'm really hoping they have a 16# barrel awaiting this order.

Downpayment check in the mail,
Now that loooong wait.
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
BFD

Re: Just had to do it again, a new Sporter...

Post by BFD »

Can you expand on, " and a little revision to the all-wood forearm"???
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

BFD wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:15 am Can you expand on, " and a little revision to the all-wood forearm"???
Sure. On the front end of the forearm I’m asking if the end can be carved with a little longer curvature at the top where the forearm ends. Just a personal desire.

Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobw

Post by bobw »

I think that fore end will look great but don't forget the fire blued screws. Naturally I think the Loomer chamber in the 2 7/8" is the only way to go if for no other reason than to just fireform the brass once and never size again, very little to no growth case length. What about the butt, mil or shotgun ? Last I knew Shiloh did round and bull barrels in separate runs not intermingled with octagon spec'ed barrels because of having to reset their equipment, have they changed that? bobw
bobw
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I’ve read and learned the pros and cons of the other chambers Shiloh offers. To date I’ve had excellent results with the standard chamber for pp’ing, not only in accuracy but also in ‘case life’. I keep my loaded rounds dry, and my chamber dry. Often I am amazed at the lack of any case length (but not always), and I check them after every cleaning. My patched bullets fit the necks well, and I anneal after each cleaning; not the entire length of the case , or even a third, just the last 3/8” or so. I’m very careful to keep the inside of the case mouths chamfered properly, even steel-wooled smooth with ‘0000’.

Robert
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

To answer your question, I again chose the traditional steel shotgun butt.

Thanks again for your thoughts,
Robert
BFD

Post by BFD »

That is a MUCH improved forearm in my opinion. It amazes me how just a little change like that makes so much difference. Slimming the nose like the old ones is a great idea. I really like the old Farmingdale rifles for that reason.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

BFD wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:35 am That is a MUCH improved forearm in my opinion. It amazes me how just a little change like that makes so much difference. Slimming the nose like the old ones is a great idea. I really like the old Farmingdale rifles for that reason.
Yes, I thought since ordering the full heavy-antiqued metal and wood combo I’d ask if they would be willing to do this. It should be a nice piece of craftsmanship, as usual.

Robert