Long Range vs Silhouette

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

charlie young

Re: Long Range vs Silhouette

Post by charlie young »

Coltsmoke, a very good and well know shooter, told me once to keep the flare as it centers the brass. But I like it because I have the same tension and don't need to worry about the slightly different case lengths. I really like that new expansion die from BACO, it doesn't really flare in traditional sense, really leaves a smooth mouth and smooth bullet transition in to the case. Just ordered another one, I was so impressed with it. As long as we are all shooting and swapping ideas, life is good!!
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Brian, will have to visit next time.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Ok
hueyw

Post by hueyw »

to return to the original question, silhouette is shot at closer distances making it a bit easier during the learning curve.
there are more silhouette matches available near the colorado area so you can shoot more often. meaning watkins and carpenter.

silhouette targets have no x-ring, so a bad hit counts as good as a center hit. plus the instant gratification when the chicken falls cannot be
matched.
you also have excellent target rifle matches held relatively close, at byers and cheyenne. shooting midrange is similar to silhouette distances so sight settings are
similar. after this experience long range is another experience in wind reading etc.

this is my opinion of the easiest way to start. the 45-70 is still the most versatile cartridge, easiest to develop loads, and very capable
for long range when the gods of wind and good luck are on your side.

this is only my humble opinion, you do not have to get all wrapped up in all the decisions about grease groove or paper patch right away, you have the rest of your life to try all those things that might make you better.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

What Huey said.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

For Sure! Huey is on a roll.

Potentially, the upcoming issue of Black Powder Cartridge News may have some information about loading the 45-90 for Long Range.

We will see.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Raymond Hanson

Post by Raymond Hanson »

Get a 45-70 or 40-65 for sil. then get a 45-90 or 45-100 for LR. Getting another rifle in this sport is the cheap part. Start with GG. Raymond Hanson
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Get a Browning BPCR in 45-70 and start shooting Silhouette with GG bullets and after you get settled in start experimenting with PPB. That rifle is more than adequate to be at the top if your willing to put forth the effort. They can turn up on Gunbroker every month for around $1700 to $2300(there’s one on there now for $1599). IMHO you can’t find a better deal. Get Lee Shaver to do a trigger job for $35 and buy the exhaustive book written by Wayne Mclearen on that very rifle for $55. It should be capable at getting your foot in the door at long range with PPB if loaded correctly. I’m sure you could shoot GG in that rifle at long range with the correct bullet with reduced driving bands. There are others I’m sure on here with experience with those rifles.

For under 2K your in the game with a proven rifle.

Good luck and just get started shooting.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Charlie Young "There seems to be a consensus among PP shooters that they are easier to load than a grease groove bullet. I do shoot both. I just for the life of me can't figure out how it is easier."
Yep Charlie, and consensus is what Lemmings arrive at just before they go over the cliff. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

That should take the ho out of ho hum.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

So I was right!!! It is a Myth!!😁😁
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

so, I change my name from little black duck to lemming.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
BFD

Post by BFD »

charlie young wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:34 pm So I was right!!! It is a Myth!!😁😁
Of course it is a myth