Ok you smart guys !

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: Ok you smart guys !

Post by mdeland »

John, I am going to have to make some new screws as well. What is the diameter and pitch of Ballard block screws? Looks to me like hammer screw is about 12 x 32 but is buggered enough to not go into my thread gauge easily so I'm wondering about them.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Mike, the hammer screw is 40 threads/inch and .220" diameter. It is the same screw size as the lever screw. If it is good shape measure it for pitch. Make the hammer screw fit the hole in the hammer. I have the Ballard Rifle Co drawings and they call for a #12x40 thread but also call it out as a .225"-40 thread. I tried to make Ballard hammers from their drawings and the dwg is totally unusable. Go figure.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks John that is a great help. Firing pin is done and will test it on some primed brass soon as I get the screws made. I'll probably make the screws of the same stress proof steel the pin is made off. Be a good job for the little Unimat lathe I have if it has a 40 tpi pitch drum.