Sharps roughrider

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Sharps roughrider

Post by Glen Ring »

I have a couple of High walls and I'm having a third built...but I was wondering if a Sharps rough rider in 45-70 would be a good silhouette rifle.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Woody

Re: Sharps roughrider

Post by Woody »

Yep.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I’m enjoying my #1. Shoots better than I can. It’s an extremely comfortable rifle to shoot.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Glenn I have a RR in 45-70. It has a heavy 1/2 round with standard wood. Shoots much better than I do. Shoot both scope and iron with it.
Dan
BFD

Post by BFD »

Glen Ring wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:30 pm I have a couple of High walls and I'm having a third built...but I was wondering if a Sharps rough rider in 45-70 would be a good silhouette rifle.
I'm not familiar with which stock has what sort of drop to it, but the #1 Long range express is better than the #3 sporter for this reason. If the RR model as much drop as the #3, I would consider something else.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

BFD wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:54 pm
Glen Ring wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:30 pm I have a couple of High walls and I'm having a third built...but I was wondering if a Sharps rough rider in 45-70 would be a good silhouette rifle.
I'm not familiar with which stock has what sort of drop to it, but the #1 Long range express is better than the #3 sporter for this reason. If the RR model as much drop as the #3, I would consider something else.
The RR has the same drop as a #1 just no cheek rest.
Dan
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Shilo Sharps has one ready to go on their for sale page. I have never owned an 1874...are they easy to maintain? Are spare parts, like extra firing pins, readily available ?
I am new to all this BPCR stuff with only two years under my belt.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Glenn Sharps are probably easier than any rifle to maintain. You don't even need a screwdriver to get to half the parts.

The downsides to them are pretty small. They have a somewhat slower lock but not one person in a million could detect a difference, nor will your score cards.

You have to cock them a lot - they don't self cock. That's pretty simple to get used to.

Feeding them as a right hander is sort of awkward if you have a scope on top. Again, not a big issue.

From Dan's response, the RR would be a really good choice, but call and make sure that particular one will make weight.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

It'd be a great rifle Glen. Shiloh will sell you all the spare parts you might want :-). In my maybe 9 or so years shooting Shiloh 1874's I've only ever broken one firing pin. I seem to be luckier than most though. I do keep a couple of spare firing pins, lever spring, and transfer bar as spares anyway.

Chris.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

If you buy a Shiloh you will have the full support of the company. Spare parts are available. You should get 2 spare firing pins and a lever spring. Maintenance is as easy as it gets. Like Brent said you don't even need a screwdriver. You must learn to bring the hammer to half cock before opening the action. After a while it becomes a natural thing to do.

The early Rough Riders had more drop in the butt stock but the ones made now are just the #1 stock without the cheek piece. It is well suited for silhouette or target competition.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Thanks guys....Jeanne and I are headed to the range. beautiful day here to shoot. 50 degrees, sunny, no wind.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Dan O wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:58 pm
BFD wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:54 pm
[/quote
The RR has the same drop as a #1 just no cheek rest.
Dan
THIS +10, I have 2 MR's one with a 34" HB and the win gun with a 30" HB, both in 45-70 both oh so comfortable to shoot. Unless you have an extremely long face( ctr of the eye to bottom of the jaw) you will still need a strap on cheekpiece to extend the comb height for LR shooting. There is simply no finer road trip to be had than to head north to Big Timber pick up your Shiloh in person, stay in BT that night, and head home. bobw
bobw