Hunting sights ?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

MSalyards

Hunting sights ?

Post by MSalyards »

So I'm ordering a new rifle just to hunt with. Which is better, semi or full buckhorn? Thanks in advance!
bpcr shooter

Re: Hunting sights ?

Post by bpcr shooter »

Full
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Full
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
BFD

Post by BFD »

semi
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Semi will not obstruct your field of view compared to full buckhorn.
spqr476

Post by spqr476 »

Full. The ears of the buckhorn actually help with consistency by shading the sight notch in a wider variety of light conditions. I’ve never had it get in the way when sighting on an animal, and it “funnels” your eye in when you bring it up fast. I was always a semi buckhorn guy until I actually gave full a try, thanks to some advice.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Semi buckhorn is my favored.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
BFD

Post by BFD »

MSalyards, what sort of game and country will you be hunting?
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Full, if you're shooting at a round target, semi if you're shooting at game, especially if the game is moving and you have to bring the rifle up fast.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Definitely a personal choice here. And everyone's eyes are different also, a flat top rear sight is another option. What is ideal in bright sun light will change in poor light. Your front sight choice will also determine the success of the rear.
kw
bobw

Post by bobw »

semi or Lawrence style rear. In low light full buckhorn is a pain in the ass. bobw
bobw
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

BFD wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:25 pm MSalyards, what sort of game and country will you be hunting?
Deer , bear and possibly elk and the occasional antelope. Mostly wooded, 100 - 150 yds. Some prairie.
BFD

Post by BFD »

MSalyards wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:01 pm
BFD wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:25 pm MSalyards, what sort of game and country will you be hunting?
Deer , bear and possibly elk and the occasional antelope. Mostly wooded, 100 - 150 yds. Some prairie.
Sounds pretty straight forward. Nothing really fancy needed. Apertures may help clear up your sight picture but you may not need one at all, which is a nice advantage.

If you find you need reading glasses for close up stuff it is difficult to the both front and rear sights, you may find this post has some helpful ideas.
http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8033

Good luck!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Shallow V works well with a bead up front and is probably the fastest open sight, Flat top with square notch rear and post up front is the most accurate open sight and holds elevation better than does a bead.
GPeterson

Post by GPeterson »

I have the semi bucks on my Hartford sporter 45/70 (30" standard oct. barrel), and I really like them for my old eyes. I also added a #131 MVA Vernier tang sight (with the windage adjustment) to the rifle, and even with the tang sight folded back towards the comb, I've shot it enough sitting, kneeling and offhand to know it doesn't come anywhere near my eye during a shot with my normal hold, which allows me to use the factory barrel sights when needed without a subconscious, "you'll poke yer eye out, kid!" thought. It's a great set-up on a great hunting rifle with the factory blade up front as from the factory.

Still, just wish I still had my 25 year old eyesight..."is what it is" 43 years later.

Merry Christmas,

GPeterson
Buffalo, WY