Sighting In MVA Midrange

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

paulk

Sighting In MVA Midrange

Post by paulk »

I'm fairly new to BPCR and recently purchased MVA Midrange sights for my #1 Sporter.
Can any one tell me if there is some type of formula to figure what to set my Midrange sights at so I can at least be on paper at 200, 300, 400, etc. yards before fine tuning them?
Thank you on advance.
BFD

Re: Sighting In MVA Midrange

Post by BFD »

It will depend on your make of rifle, front sight, and barrel length, the last being least important.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

You can figure somewhere between 15 and 17 minutes for every 100 yds. That's not exact, but should get you into dirt close to the target.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Simplest thing to do, is take a box with a target on it to the range. Set it 5-10 yds away and shoot. Reposition your rifle on the bench pointing at the bull and then w/o moving the rifle, dial the sights until they are centered on the bullet hole.

Move box to 50 yds and repeat.

Repeat at 100.

Four your fourth shot, bring the sights up about 12 points (0.120", assuming you have about a 30-32" barrel) and you should be on the paper for 200.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Brents got it right. What he said. :lol:

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Brents got it right. What he said. :lol:

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
dougf

Post by dougf »

BFD wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 pm Reposition your rifle on the bench pointing at the bull
Just to be clear, when you do the repositioning, do you mean lining up the rifle on the bull by looking down the bore?

Doug
BFD

Post by BFD »

dougf wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:07 am
BFD wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 pm Reposition your rifle on the bench pointing at the bull
Just to be clear, when you do the repositioning, do you mean lining up the rifle on the bull by looking down the bore?

Doug
No. Use the sights, exactly as you did on the first shot, and aim it as precisely as you can exactly as you did. Presumably, if you fired now, the next bullet would go in the bullet hole from your last shot. So, even though you are aiming at the bull, your barrel is going to be set to point at the bullet hole. You just need to adjust sights to where the rifle is REALLY pointing -the hole.

As a suggestion, you may have difficulty in seeing the bullet hole st 50 or 100 yds, so you have to approximate where it is, or bring a high contrast sticker or two that you can put over or in the bullet hole to make it larger and more visible in your sights.
dougf

Post by dougf »

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm headed to the range in a few days to do the same so this helps a lot.
paulk

Post by paulk »

Thank you so much everyone. That's the kind of information I was after.
Happy Holidays