Thoughts on potential match dates

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Thoughts on potential match dates

Post by jackrabbit »

Friends, Coralee and I are working on our 2020 calendar and are kicking around what dates to have some matches. For those that have not ever scheduled matches, it is much harder than you would think trying to come up with some good dates that don't step on anyone's toes. The last several years we have held matches over Memorial weekend in May. Although they were a success, the weather was poor and we felt a little stressed trying to get it done in addition to all of our spring work on the farm. We were thinking of holding a one day big bore Smithmoor Cup silhouette match and the 2 day Rocky Mountain Regional 22 BPCRA match on June 26th-28th. Any thoughts? We have also held the Wyoming State Championships the third weekend in August and that has worked well the last several years, but there are some conflicts in 2020 with those dates. It seems many of the matches I want to go to end up about the same time we have matches at home....arg.... I wish there was another range we could alternate the Wyoming Championships with.

Thanks for any thoughts and comments, Cody
Don McDowell

Re: Thoughts on potential match dates

Post by Don McDowell »

A well run match will always be well attended. It always helps tho that shooters know a particular match will be held on a repeatable and continuous date each year.
With the relatively short shooting season in this part of the world choosing dates is going to be a problem, and while it's best not to step on nearby match dates, sometimes that's just not possible. So in the end it comes out to what and when a match/range director can find time in their schedule to run the matches. On the bright side at least you don't have to fight for range time with a growing High-power group. :wink:

One thought as to other ranges that might be willing/able to host the state match is put out word thru the WSSA and see if there is any interest?
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Good thoughts, Don, and thanks for the support. I agree with the repeatable dates, I think it is important as well. We are just trying to weigh how important that is. Memorial weekend has just been a struggle the last few years with weather, we were just thinking about what if. I guess we are lucky, but it is amazing that when you look at the entire summer schedule for the rocky mountain area, there are only a few weekends that you could not find a BPCR, 22 BPCR, BPTR, gong, or schuetzen match to go to. I thought I remember hearing somebody say our sport is dead? It sure don't look like it around here.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Memorial Day in this country is pretty iffy for the weather, and in your occupation makes shooting a bit problematic due to your work load. So maybe dropping that match might be much easier on the match directors nerves...
Just keep on keeping on and when/if it gets to the point that you don't get a sell out crowd well in advance of the match dates, then maybe time to rethink things.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Del

Post by Del »

That lands on the Montana State Championship I believe (last weekend in June) so it would not make it likely to get any Montana boys or gals to come shoot. If you did it the weekend before Nationals in July people could shoot your match, then drive to Raton Sunday evening/Monday morning and get to Raton in time to check in and go do some lever gun practice before the matches start on Tuesday. Probably lands directly in your work around the farm, though... Just a thought!
Fortune Favors the Bold...
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Cody,
As you know I am no stranger to the conflicts of scheduling matches and trying to make it so EVERYONE is happy and can make the match. It is not possible, no, not ever, there is always something that is also scheduled when I scheduled a match. Just do it. Folks will make a decision and don't worry about it. Schedule it when you can considering your need to make a living and have some family time during the busy farming season. I did not schedule my BPTR matches in May because after all these years I think I have only had one match due to weather issues. I would say go with the three day in June and forget the August match. I would however, add another day to the BPCR so it would be a two day match. Slam bang and it is done for the year. Folks coming back from the Q may want to stop and shoot. Ask for help if you need it. We can help for sure and have the experience to get it done. More than one of us can run a tractor or front end loader and can help with the admin stuff. Call for a workday, we will be there. Those of us who shoot at your ranges can run the BPCR matches during the summer. Glad to help anyway I can and it is little enough considering all your family has done for this sport. I would like to get some real competition in before Nationals and not interfere with haying or your running the farm in July. August is an issue and you know what can happen in Wyoming in September, SNOW< WIND< COLD or Florida like weather, you never know.
Nuff said,
Dick
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thank you guys for the very thoughtful responses. I also received several emails and private messages regarding the above topic. I can't believe I totally spaced out the Montana State Match! I am not sure what we are going to do yet, but we will get a calendar out soon.
Merry Christmas!
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Whatever you do Cody, don’t move anything around the NRA’s match schedule. They are batshit crazy.
So sad.
Cody, take my advice and add more stations. I’m not going to PA to shoot silhouette so I doubt that I ever get to shoot the nationals, but with that said I’ll try to head west to shoot some great matches that are on my bucket list.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."