New Shiloh soon!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

John Bly

New Shiloh soon!

Post by John Bly »

I spoke with Shiloh today and my '77 is complete and on the final inspection table. They are not shipping anything until after Christmas so it will be early next year before it is in my hands. Some specs:
1877 No.1 single trigger
40-50 SS caliber
30" standard weight barrel
Semi-fancy wood with round ebony forend tip

If you are curious as the caliber, I have a 45/70, 40/65 and a 40/70SS. I just wanted one to play with.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Distant Thunder

Re: New Shiloh soon!

Post by Distant Thunder »

Nothing wrong with the choice of caliber, that's a very good one I think. Enjoy your new rifle! Merry Christmas!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

40-50 in either the straight or the bottleneck is one of those "want to try" cartridges in my bucket list.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Woody

Post by Woody »

Merry Christmas John.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Is there a 44-77 in your future John ?
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I've been a proponent of the 40-50 Straight since I made one up for my son about 15 years ago on a Maynard action. He still holds 3 national records as a Junior with that rifle since 2009. I wrote an article in the BPCNews in 2009 extolling the virtues of the cartridges. I figured it was time to have one for myself.

Woody, This was my Christmas present to myself, a Winchester 75 Sporter made in 1940 in 95% condition with the exception of being drilled and tapped for a side mount scope.
Winchester 75 Sporter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
BFD

Post by BFD »

Nice squirrel rifle John.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I agree with Brent. (That's scary)!!!!

New Years presents work too.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
BFD

Post by BFD »

You know, guys, EVERYDAY is my birthday.

Just sayin'
Woody

Post by Woody »

Your on your own with that one Brent. We ain't related.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

john; it sounds like my 77 40/50 ss shoots very well with a 390 gr. bullet and swiss 1.5 good luck art ruggiero
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

There is a reason for that Art. Do you recall we discussed single vs set triggers, barrel length and weight. That is why mine is so close to yours.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

yes i do john and thanks for your help with the 40/50 merry christmas art
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Good news John! I'm in the same boat. Called them last week and informed that my 77 is having the AA finish applied to my wood. Order was placed 5 years ago and know Shiloh was working on getting everything just right before entering production. So from info on the forum wait was 2 years. I went with Shiloh because it is a bit closer to a original 77 than the C. Sharps and the price was better than C. Sharps for the rifle I wanted. (Seems they worked from an original with input from Axtel models). I ordered a classic Long Range #1 rifle, 34 inch round, My supplied English walnut blank, paper patch match reamer, Rigby rib, single trigger and round ebony forearm tip with the Rigby panels. Christmas will be a bit late but does not matter all that much. Sights are waiting to mount on the new 77 MVA rear and Distant Thunder Long range front. Brass and bullets are already to load and hope to get a good day to run a few loads through it before winter really closes things down.
Dakota111

Post by Dakota111 »

Congrats on your new '77. I am still waiting on mine it's been 5yr 11 months. I have hopes for early 2020.

I did fire Art's in 40/50 virtually no recoil and extremely accurate. The trigger has an excellent feel and release.
I asked to have mine set up the same way.

Good luck with your 77.

Bill P in N.Ga.