new case annealer

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

1minute

Re: new case annealer

Post by 1minute »

On quenching: I know such is not needed, but mine get dumped into water simply to speed up handling time without a danger of denting a neck on some hard surface.

Heat the water/cartridges, dump the water, shake the cartridges a bit in towel, and their elevated temp will have them all dry in minutes.
1Minute
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

cisco1927 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:48 am How does the new case annealer advertised in the "new items for sale" section work ?
What "new items for sale" section are you referring to?

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Woody

Post by Woody »

On the Shiloh website, not on this forum.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

On the Shiloh website, not on this forum.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Woody wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:33 pm On the Shiloh website, not on this forum.
Woody
Thanks Woody. BTW, I've been watching your double posts for years & have wondered what browser you use. When I post on this forum using Chrome there is a note that pops up on the bottom left corner of my screen that says "Waiting for www.shilohrifle.com...". If you hit the enter button again before the note goes away the result will be a double posting. Sometimes it takes a minute or so for the note to disappear and your new posting or response to pop up on the website.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
Woody

Post by Woody »

Wayne, I only hit the enter once. It doubles by itself. Sometimes a minute or two later. I try to catch it, and delete the second one, but sometimes like this last one, it does show until I'm off line.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Wow Woody, all this time I thought you were experiencing memory loss, and you couldn't remember if you hit the enter button or not!! :lol:
Merry Christmas!
Tom
Woody

Post by Woody »

I try to keep my CRS well concealed, but sometimes I forget.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
semtav

Post by semtav »

clearcrickshooter wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:13 pm I agree with hipshot. The cases get somewhat work hardened.Tried it both ways went back to tumble clean then anneal with my Annie machine. Also polish the inside of the case with 0000 steal wool on a nylon cleaning brush in my cordless drill.

I decided to go the CY method. Soak, anneal, polish and reload.
Don't know about the work hardening but im tired of peened lips and ive tried everything to eliminate them . This is the only way to eliminate it altogether. maybe we'll have an ugly shell contest at the next shoot
TAA

Post by TAA »

It would be interesting to learn what testing has been attempted to identify the negative influences on accuracy that not getting the inside of the case clean bright and shiny after each firing. Or maybe it’s an attempt to prolong case life?

After shooting while still at the range I deprime and clean the flash hole. The case then goes into a container that has water, dish soap and a splash of vinegar, for the ride home. (My wife hates the smell of that container’s contents.) At home each case is dunked into the container and then the inside is scrubbed with a tight fitting bottle brush. They are allowed to dry and then are tumbled and then annealed. This batch of (150) Hornady 405 Win. cases has been fired just over 27-times, back to 2010.

If I’m all wet (pardon the pun) here, I’d like to know what needs to change.....thanks!

Tom
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Most of us BPCR shooters have OCD so twice is fine. Three is OK too.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Brian, I got some 45-70 cases that are just down right ugly. Seated another 50 bullets last night in the 2.4 and is just down right amazing at how the insides are so shiny and smooth. I think Clearcreekshooter has the same method as far as cleaning the insides.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

TAA wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:23 pm It would be interesting to learn what testing has been attempted to identify the negative influences on accuracy that not getting the inside of the case clean bright and shiny after each firing. Or maybe it’s an attempt to prolong case life?
Tom
Tom,

The inside of the cases do not have to be bright and shiny but they do need to be clean otherwise the case will tend to stretch due to friction between the compressed powder column and the case wall. Even a clean case will tend to stretch some then spring back but a dirty one will stretch more than the spring back amount and can affect accuracy if the case length is the same as the chamber length to the transition step. If the case mouth extends well into the transition step due to stretching it will squeeze down the diameter of the bullet as it's pushed into the throat resulting in increased, possibly inconsistent pressure and base fining, neither is a good thing for accuracy.

Wayne
hipshot1

Post by hipshot1 »

I did some testing on if tumbling hardens the brass. this is what I did.
I had some once fired brass that I got at a gun show or some place, it has a head stamp of pmc, I made a steel shaft that would fit snug inside the cases. using my Lee lead hardness tester, I used two cases to test, both cases had a dimple size of .024. after annealing the dimple size was .030. today I tumbled them with other cases for two hours, I use half ss pins and half ceramic, the dimple size after tumbling was .026, so in this test they did get harder, now I know its a matter how you read the scale in the magnifier but I was careful in reading it and both cases read the same.
Two things surprised me though, after tumbling,the steel shaft was hard to get in the cases basically had to resize, the other thing was how nicked up the cases were when looking through the magnifier.
If someone has a better way to test this I would be interested in your results.
A man must standup before you can see how long of a shadow he will cast
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

hipshot1 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:24 pm I did some testing on if tumbling hardens the brass. this is what I did.
I had some once fired brass that I got at a gun show or some place, it has a head stamp of pmc, I made a steel shaft that would fit snug inside the cases. using my Lee lead hardness tester, I used two cases to test, both cases had a dimple size of .024. after annealing the dimple size was .030. today I tumbled them with other cases for two hours, I use half ss pins and half ceramic, the dimple size after tumbling was .026, so in this test they did get harder, now I know its a matter how you read the scale in the magnifier but I was careful in reading it and both cases read the same.
Two things surprised me though, after tumbling,the steel shaft was hard to get in the cases basically had to resize, the other thing was how nicked up the cases were when looking through the magnifier.
If someone has a better way to test this I would be interested in your results.
I also have a Lee lead hardness tester and used it to run similar tests & got similar results which is one of the reasons I anneal after each shooting. And I anneal after tumbling. The reasons the steel shaft was hard to insert after tumbling is due to peening of the case lips which results in reducing the ID of the case lip. Here's an article I wrote on the subject some time ago: http://www.texas-mac.com/Removing_Case_ ... _Edge.html.

Wayne