Meachum Highwall

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BFD

Re: Meachum Highwall

Post by BFD »

Mike, as a guy that couldn't even figure out how to pull an original 1885 block without removing stock and trigger bar - maybe you should rethink your opinions about Winchesters.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Ah, but I did get it apart and them back together without any problem. So now I know two ways to accomplish the same goal. :lol:
I think I was trying to help a fellow shooter get his apart if I remember correctly.
Wouldn't be the first time I did things the long way around and won't be the last. :D
BFD

Post by BFD »

Yeah, really demonstrated what you know about Winchesters. 'nuff said.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Not quite , let me see now, weren't you the one who thought you had to change the link and or finger lever to get the firing pin centered instead of jig adjusting it as the factory did and who never heard of Frank DeHaas?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

At any rate the Meacham's are fine HW reproductions by any standard!
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Guy had a highwall made in Cody at a match once and I got kind of feverish. Beautiful rifle!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Yep. I've got one of the Cody High Walls. Originally ordered it as a 38-55. After about a year, had it re-barreled as a 45-70 and have never looked back. Quality is on par with the originals. It's my favorite silhouette rifle.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Woody wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:51 pm Yep. I've got one of the Cody High Walls. Originally ordered it as a 38-55. After about a year, had it re-barreled as a 45-70 and have never looked back. Quality is on par with the originals. It's my favorite silhouette rifle.

Woody
Mine too. They are indeed fine rifles and parts-interchangeable with originals, as they should be.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Original Hw's are not always parts interchangeable even between the same year of manufacture without some fitting and jig adjustment, usually to achieve correct tolerance. Many non original parts will go together but are not necessarily properly tolerance fitted.
The reason is because in the era of case hardened steel the gun parts were fitted in the annealed state (soft fitted), disassembled for case hardening and then (hard fitted) to final reassembly. The former fitting was done with jigs and files and the final fitting with stones and sand paper. Any one who has ever done any case hardening knows that case hardened steel is "ALWAYS" changed dimension-ally to some extent. Depending on alloy, temperature of both treatment and quench and how well they were blocked.
Original HWs were all case hardened carbon steel where as all modern guns are alloy steel. All modern alloy receivers and hard parts are CNC machined to very close tolerance. Most modern receivers and parts are also investment cast which greatly aids in precision tolerances which cuts way down on machining time. Modern alloys are much more stable in their heat treating process and demonstrate far less distortion.
The ones that are case colored are usually 8620 or equivalent alloy . The 8620 will take a good bone case color and has better tensile #s than case hardened plain carbon steel. 4140-50 is hardened all the way through and is often used for HW reproductions that are chambered for high intensity cartridges and will not receive a bone case coloring.
I was told one time, but have not had it verified, that the Cody built guns did not use case color-able alloy (8620 ?) for any smokeless powder guns but did use it for those that were to be cased and fired BP cartridges. I find it hard to believe they would use two different alloys in their receiver manufacture.
I did find out with a bit of research ( assuming the jobber knew of what he was speaking )that Uberti used 8620 equivalent alloy for all their receivers. The alloy will case color very well and has good tensile #s.
Al Sledge

Post by Al Sledge »

Want what I would consider a perfect High Wall action; call MVA! Course Glen was looking to buy a rifle not an action but I couldn't help throwing my ante into the pot. I've built quite a number of 85s of all three species and my money is on the MVA.

Al
"The way some people find fault, you would think there was a reward"----found in the target repair shed at Bisley England
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I'm with Al! I ordered an MVA action for my grandson, and have been totally satisfied with it!

Clarence
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

I triple what Al and Clarence have voiced. I ordered a single trigger action and have never looked back. The price is comparable to the best original action you can find. Plus you have MVA behind it' 8) ................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………