Olde Eynesford Thread for this forum

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: Olde Eynesford Thread for this forum

Post by gunlaker »

desert deuce wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:08 pm Chris, looks like you are on to something. Guessing that 2.25" for the MVA tube is about 71 grains ?
It's about 77-78 grains Zack. A pretty light load for a .45-70 with paper patched bullets, but it's fluffy powder. This is one of my rifles with Dan T.'s PP chamber.

Ian's group sure looks nice!

I have a fresh case of the same lot of powder I shot that last group with, so I'll have plenty of powder to see if it's consistent.

Here is another 10 shot target with a Shiloh .45-70 Long Range Express using the same lot of powder. It's a great group if you ignore the two shots I pulled a little :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This was a pretty light load. Also unweighed, but should be around 65.5gr or so.

Chris.
semtav

Post by semtav »

ian45662 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:11 pm I shot this 6 years ago when I first got my highwall. I was doing load development. 67 grains of OE with a brooks 540 grain Creedmoor sized to .458. Federal 210m primer and Walters .030 fiber wad. Fire formed case with no neck tension. The 2 holes at the bottom were 9 and 10. Could have been me. By the time I got to that point I was as giggling like a school girl.
thats the same lot # I bought in 14 except I still have a full case !!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

RE: What Montana Charlie just wrote.

Had a fairly long conversation with some honchos that run powder or reloading related companies. One of whom whose company markets Black Powder.

We discussed load development and I was specifically asked about how much powder I used to arrive at a satisfactory load.

I told them I bought Black Powder by the 25 pound case. I qualified my answer by saying (at that time) that I loaded for long range and one cartridge used 93 grains of a companies 2F powder and for a run of ammunition I figured the amount at 94 grains per cartridge and 7,000 grains to the pound or 74 shots to the pound or about 1,850 shots from a 25 pound case of powder and that it took between 5 and 8 pounds of powder to develop the most accurate load for that lot of powder and use it in one long range match. I further qualified my answer by saying that on one occasion I bought a case of powder I could not get to shoot accurately at any distance.

That was before I switched to Swiss.

The long and the short of it is this, people that load and shoot white powder don't always have a grasp on just how much powder our long range guns consume.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

semtav wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:39 pm
ian45662 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:11 pm I shot this 6 years ago when I first got my highwall. I was doing load development. 67 grains of OE with a brooks 540 grain Creedmoor sized to .458. Federal 210m primer and Walters .030 fiber wad. Fire formed case with no neck tension. The 2 holes at the bottom were 9 and 10. Could have been me. By the time I got to that point I was as giggling like a school girl.
thats the same lot # I bought in 14 except I still have a full case !!
It looks like it might be a good one
BFD

Post by BFD »

I wouldn't mind a case of it either. Be nice to see some more results from other batches. There seems to be merit to the stuff.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I am going to pick up 30 pounds of it Friday. 1.5 that is. They didn’t have any lots that I have ever used so another few sessions of load development will be in order.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Great Ian, keep us posted.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

[attachment=1]0D7B891C-2BC4-4371-83C6-2D19E291B00A.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=1]0D7B891C-2BC4-4371-83C6-2D19E291B00A.jpeg[/attachment]Here is the lot I am using in my 25# Tolloffson rifle that I used @ 2018 Raton Nationals.

I have a few pounds left from 2 cases I bought a few years back.
I will be contacting Bear River and have him bring me a case of 1F at the State Muzzle loading convention in mid January.

This is 1.5 Fg

It is a touch over 1400 FPS a bit fast in my opinion.

KW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

gunlaker wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:35 pm Good idea Zack.

If it ever stops pouring rain here, and the fog lifts, I'll shoot a few targets.

Here is the last target I shot with OE 1.5, plus my notes. I only shot 9 shots, I think I rumpled the patch on one of the bullets and it wouldn't chamber.

Anyway, 200m prone. X ring is about 1.8" wide. I was very surprised at how accurate the load was, other than the two ugly flyers. I haven't messed with it anymore since as the bad weather has set in.

Chris.

How many grains was this load?

Thx.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Vectorman it was unweighed. Just dropped from an MVA measure. It would weigh between 77 and 78 grains.

Chris.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I got out to put some OE on some sillywets and I must admit this went a lot better than I was expecting. The wind was blowing pretty good after that cold front that went through a couple days ago. I shot some out of my highwall and my sharps. Both rifles took to it very well. With the shiloh out of the 15 shots I took at turkeys I had 2 misses. The first miss (shot 12) was my fault. I came off the rifle to fast and it went just over the back. Shot 14 miss we missed a wind switch. The lack of vertical stringing was a breath of fresh air. The OE 1.5 that I tested today was a good bit slower than the swiss by almost 50 FPS but the ES was much better. It was 18. I cant remember what it was in the swiss but it was almost double. The OE 2F we shot was also very accurate and fast. 1340 was the avg on it but again the ES wasnt as good. The 2F OE had no misses on the rams out of 10 or 12 shots. I am excited to get this case of OE 1.5 and see what this lot will yeild.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Encouraging results to say the least Ian. Once that load is fine tuned your shooting buddies are not going to be happy to see you show up at a match. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I was pretty giddy about it. For whatever reason I was struggling with verticals this past season and today that was a non issue. Felt really good. I am excited to see how this will do at an actual match. It would be nice to lay down some master scores with this powder. It is nice to shoot an American made powder that I think will be very competitive.
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

ian45662 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:39 pm I got out to put some OE on some sillywets and I must admit this went a lot better than I was expecting. The wind was blowing pretty good after that cold front that went through a couple days ago. I shot some out of my highwall and my sharps. Both rifles took to it very well. With the shiloh out of the 15 shots I took at turkeys I had 2 misses. The first miss (shot 12) was my fault. I came off the rifle to fast and it went just over the back. Shot 14 miss we missed a wind switch. The lack of vertical stringing was a breath of fresh air. The OE 1.5 that I tested today was a good bit slower than the swiss by almost 50 FPS but the ES was much better. It was 18. I cant remember what it was in the swiss but it was almost double. The OE 2F we shot was also very accurate and fast. 1340 was the avg on it but again the ES wasnt as good. The 2F OE had no misses on the rams out of 10 or 12 shots. I am excited to get this case of OE 1.5 and see what this lot will yeild.
Was this a some new OE you just got?
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

This was the pound I got to test back in the fall. I am picking up more Friday. I will try to get out Sunday to start testing this new batch I am getting.