45 110 preliminary reloading numbers

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coltwcf44

45 110 preliminary reloading numbers

Post by Coltwcf44 »

I started a post about case length and now have some numbers for the veteran shooters to comment on for me and let me know if I'm on the right track.You have all been a great help to me. Again this is some fired brass that came with the rifle and it appears to me that it was loaded with smokeless. Its Bell brass not Jamison which I said it was in the OP. My bad there.

Fired Bell brass cases measure mostly 2.868. I trimmed the few longer ones to this length.
535 gr Lyman Postell bullet
Neck tension .002
Chamber 2.881
OAL with bullet touching rifling 3.677

I haven't loaded any powder yet just been working with one dummy round. How do these numbers look to you all? Any recommendations for a starting load for powder and wad? I have Old Enysford 2f and Swiss 2f on hand. My bullets haven't arrived yet, and I'm not casting as of yet, and I only have this one 535 gr bullet that was mixed in with the order of 500 grainers I received awhile back. At least having it I was able to set up the dies and get some measurements. Kinda sounds like Barney Pfeif, though. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again,
Coltwcf44
bpcr shooter

Re: 45 110 preliminary reloading numbers

Post by bpcr shooter »

usually neck tension should be none to very little (finger seat) 2f powder will be a little fast for that size. 1f would be my choice and depending on brand of powder.... compression, some powders like more than others is just a game you gotta play and find out. not sure how far you are seating your bullets out but they should be touching or just about touching the rifling. I have to push PP bullets cause it what I shoot :D no leadin, no grease, and they look better :lol: I dont shoot this caliber but there are a few who do.......and very well, im sure they will chime in.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I don't think you're going to get along very well with that 2f. You would be way ahead of the game to get some 1f.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Coltwcf44

Post by Coltwcf44 »

Thanks for the replies. In my mock up cartridge I seated the bullet to where it touches the rifling. At that point the last groove is covered and the edge of the case mouth is about half way on the last band. I hope I described that correctly. I can push the bullet into the case with finger pressure. I will get some 1f ordered for this caliber. Appreciate the help, guys. This is the kind of info I was hoping for.

Coltwcf44
dougf

Post by dougf »

Don McDowell wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:03 am I don't think you're going to get along very well with that 2f. You would be way ahead of the game to get some 1f.
Don,

I am still trying to learn this game as well. Why might 2f not be a good choice? And why 1f instead of 1 1/2? I'm just trying to understand factors to consider when choosing between 1f, 1 1/2 and 2f.

Thanks for any help on this,
Doug
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

2F and 1.5 f shoot fine in the ctg. The recoil impulse is considerably sharper with the finer granulation. 1 F is very pleasant and controllable in the big ctg with heavy bullets .. the torque generated. by it is a longer slower thing with 1F and easier to hold on to and be accurate. Just my opinion
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

forgot to mention the downside.........1f will have more fouling so good lube and fouling control will be required.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Doug,
Maybe this little bit of info will help. We all know that black powder comes in 5 sizes generally, from 4 FA up to 1 FA. From smallest to largest. Flash powder or 4 FA can be excluded for chamber use and be used as a primer or pan powder only because of very fast burn rate. That leaves us with 3 FA, 2 FA, 1 1/2 FA and 1 FA or cartridge grade. Think of using these powders in terms of case size and capacity. From small caliber handguns to cannons. It's about burn rate and power factor. 2 FA will work in the 45 2/78, but has a burn rate that is a little fast for that length of cartridge in my opinion. 1 1/2 FA works well, but over the years of shooting this large cartridge with 3 different rifles, I find that 1 FA has worked the best for me. And powder that has a lower power factor works even better. Compression also effects burn rate. If you take 2 FA and compress it a lot, You're turning 2 FA into 3 or even 4 FA powder in different areas of your cartridge case. This will change the over all burn rate and effect accuracy, leading and fouling. My recommendation is to start with 1 FA with little to no compression, thick wads and .02" neck tension. A starting load of around 100 gr. of 1 FA and .090" to .120" of vegetable fiber wads would be a good start. See how it groups and adjust a component of the load 1 at a time. Trying different primers is a good place to start. Hope this helps.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Coltwcf44

Post by Coltwcf44 »

Dennis,
Thanks for the explanation, info, and advice. Very much appreciated and will put it use. This type of info is what I was looking for. Thanks again to all who responded and offered info and advice, as well.

Coltwcf44