Not a Shiloh -BUT- Anyone know how to dissemble the bolt on a Winchester Model 670?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

Not a Shiloh -BUT- Anyone know how to dissemble the bolt on a Winchester Model 670?

Post by Trigger1212 »

Evening All,

Not a Shiloh but I thought with the collective knowledge on this site someone may be able to provide the information I need.

I am currently working on a Winchester Model 670, it is a 30-06 carbine with the 19" barrel. The 670 was a no-frills cheaper version of the Model 70 and it came in two versions, one had the 3 position wing safety on the bolt shroud like any other M70, the other model has a sliding safety just to the right of the tang, like a lot of 22s.

The one I'm working on has the sliding safety. Which means that the bolt shroud is different, and you cannot dissemble it like a normal M70.

Does anyone have experience in dissembling this bolt? I've googled it and YouTube it and now dice, very surprised! I've got all the issues of The Gun Digest dissembly manuals, snake eyes, not listed.

Fair number of people asking questions about the 670 as there are not that many out there. Really something to read the answers to many of the questions. Really sad the information some people provide, just pulling stuff out of their azz just to say someting.

Anyhoo, would appreciate hearing from anyone that has firsthand experience in taking this bolt apart. Instructions or a link to the same would be greatly appreciated.

Bolt is working fine, but going through it from stem to stern and it would really bug me to not clean out the insides of the bolt, FP and spring.

Cheers!

Wade
slopok

Re: Not a Shiloh -BUT- Anyone know how to dissemble the bolt on a Winchester Model 670?

Post by slopok »

soak it in kerocine,blow dry it with a air compresser,oil it,and it,ll last a hundred years.that,s my two cents worth.problem solved !!!
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so."

~RONALD REAGAN
Trigger1212

Re: Not a Shiloh -BUT- Anyone know how to dissemble the bolt on a Winchester Model 670?

Post by Trigger1212 »

You can call off the dogs, figured it out. On a normal M70 you have a take down push button on the bolt shroud. On the M670 there is what looks like a small slotted head screw in the same general location. This is actually a long slot headed pin. Screw it out, then pull it out and the bolt comes apart pretty much like a normal M70. Just be careful and make sure you have a very well fitting screwdriver as the head of that screw is very fine and it would be easy to bugger it up/strip it.

Hope this helps someone else some day!

Cheers!

W