Do you like Fancy Wood?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coltsmoke

Re: Do you like Fancy Wood?

Post by Coltsmoke »

I'll post some, might as well post those boxes you made for me also.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Kurt wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:37 pm Nope Glenn, I'm not for hire :lol:
I quit, I retired. :lol:
Hire!?! That almost sounds like you expected to be paid. I thought sure it would be a labor of love. ;)

But, I'll be good. As in most all things of wood that I deal with, Woody is providing me with enough guidance so I don't screw it beyond his abilities to repair (thank you).
Glenn
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I never get tired of seeing this.
Absolutely! The wood on these rifles is a major factor that got me interested in wanting to own a couple.
Axtell did use some pretty nice wood sometimes. The wood they put on mine is almost a perfect match for the Overbaugh 1877 Creedmoor rifle that sold on a Julia Auction for $29,900.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Do you like Fancy Wood? Does a bear Chit in the woods? Hell yes to both!

Really enjoyed the Cecil video, quite a life there! I read about him in a BP magazine article and ended up contacting him for wood on my 1877. You would think it would be fairly easy to snag a good piece of wood, not so! I got quite a laugh watching the video when he showed both sides of the maple blank, first side was awesome, second, not so much! I had a specific look I was going for and so many times I'd see a piece and think, this is The One! Then see the other side, plane jane, nope.

I think Cecil was about to give up on me but then I saw this one. I selected the butt wood and then Cecil said he would find a nice piece to match for the forearm. I think he did a pretty did a pretty good job, cannot wait to see the finished product. Next month will be on order for 6 years, fingers and toes crossed.

Here is my roller, built/made by local talent, gunsmith made the stock from locally sourced wood and did the case color also. Not the best pictures but you get the idea.

CptCurl

Post by CptCurl »

Here's a Cody Ballard No. 7 I just bought out of the last Rock Island auction.

Yeah, the wood figured into my bid considerably!

Curl

Roscoe Stephenson
a/k/a Curly
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

IMG_2737.JPG
IMG_2734 - Copy (3).JPG
IMG_2752.JPG
The first is a 50 90 that I restocked with Treebone wood years ago. XXXX presentation, and the last two are of my Shiloh 40 70 SS with
next to the top wood option. yup, good wood is worth the price...Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Curl,

What's the barrel length on your Ballard? For some reason barrels always look long on Ballards to me, must me the shorter action... An optical delusion!

Wade
CptCurl

Post by CptCurl »

Wade,

The barrel on my Cody Ballard is 30".

Curl

Roscoe Stephenson
a/k/a Curly
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

When we opened our Silhouette range, people could hear the bang and clang. As a result we had many visitors to see what was going on. The shot gunners would come and inspect our rifles and were in awe of the wood on our Shiloh's. Their first questions was how much did it cost. When we told them it could be from approx. $300 to $ 900 over straight grain walnut, they accused us of stretching the truth (LOL). I didn't have the heart to ask what the wood on their Perazzi cost. :)...............
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
johnl

Post by johnl »

Gents, what image hosting site are you guys using? Thanks
CptCurl

Post by CptCurl »

johnl wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:52 pm Gents, what image hosting site are you guys using? Thanks
I rent server space from GoDaddy.

If you do that for yourself you will find it doesn't cost much, and it comes with other benefits. It leaves you in control of all your content. You never have to worry about drama, like the PhotoBucket meltdown of some years ago.

You will need a software package to access your server space. This can be had for free and is very simple to use. I use FileZilla, which is known to be safe, is kept updated, is in broad usage, is free, and is one of the packages recommended by GoDaddy.

If you choose to start a plan with GoDaddy you will find them very helpful in getting you started and up to speed. They will spend time with you on the phone.

Seriously, this beats the heck out of scrounging around for a "free" hosting service. (I've done that too!)

Curl

Roscoe Stephenson
a/k/a Curly
CptCurl

Post by CptCurl »

Back to fancy wood.

Let me share one that is probably my favorite piece of wood in my collection. This wood is on an Alexander Henry .577 2-3/4" BPE double rifle completed October 14, 1890 for His Highness the Maharaja Holkar of Indore. It has about the best piece of marblecake I've ever seen.

My photographs don't really do justice to this masterpiece.

Curl

Roscoe Stephenson
a/k/a Curly
Woody

Post by Woody »

You win. I'm packing my toys and going home. :lol: Seriously, another beautiful example of the combination of wood and steel.

Woody

I too got sick of Photobucket and removed my photos from them. Take your digital picture and download it to your personal computer or laptop. If you used your phone, just email the pic to yourself, then download it. Open the file, right click for a dropdown menu, and select resize. Resize and save the change. Now you can add the file directly to your forum posts. Just select attachments at the bottom of your post, select add files, find your resized photo or file and select it. Once selected, you must then select, place inline. If a screen box appears stating the file is too large, you didn't successfully resize, or didn't make it small enough. Only takes a few seconds and requires no additional software or costs. I'm not a computer geek, and I was able to figure it. Good luck.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
CO

Post by CO »

With a small amount of a few different color paint from your local hobby shop, any plain wood can be turned into fancy, extra fancy and above. More of it around than you might think.
Co
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Curl, dats purdy!

How long have you had it and how does it shoot?

If I won the lotto I would like that rifle but in 450x3.25. Beautiful piece!

Wade