Phoenix Triple Crown

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Greg BPTR Director

Phoenix Triple Crown

Post by Greg BPTR Director »

Im taking over as Match Director for the Creedmoor and World 1000 at Ben Avery 2020. I would like some input from any shooters that attended last years match, good or bad, so I can work at making it a enjoyable match in the sun.
If you don’t want to post it on this forum, email me @ ecbburri@gmail.com
Any information would be appreciated.
Greg Burri
desert deuce

Re: Phoenix Triple Crown

Post by desert deuce »

A lot of people don't know that the 1000 yard World Championship was going to be cancelled in 2019. Instead, AZWINS stepped up at the last minute and agreed to take over sponsorship at Ben Avery Range. If this had not happened there would have been no match at all in 2019 or now in 2020. AZWINS is all Volunteer and none of their volunteers had any experience putting on the type of Black Powder Target Rifle Matches proposed yet agreed to give it a go anyway in 2019. Surprisingly the ten days of shooting matches proceeded far better than could be expected and the positive can do attitude of the volunteers was quite encouraging. Perfect? No, but remember what the Scribes and Pharisees did to the last perfect man on earth? The volunteers first goal was to put on a quality match that was fun for the competitors. Yes, they succeeded. If any competitor did not enjoy the shooting experience it was their fault and for a first time out it was a huge success. The match was and is the first two weeks of March and a couple of competitors complained that the temperatures were a bit warm almost pushing into the high 70's to low 80's which being from up north caused them to pare own to T-shirts and sweat bands. Most just donned sun screen and sucked it up. 2020 is 2 days of silhouette, 2 days of Creedmoor, USIMLT midrange and long range then 3 days of 1000 yard World Championship. March 2-11, 2020. I do not know of a bigger BPCR match on planet earth and it is put on solely for the enjoyment of the competitors. Entry fees are cheap for what you get for the buck.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Greg,
I enjoyed last years match. Seeing old friends again is what matters most to me. The match was run pretty good. I know of two shooters that won't be going to the 2020 match because of their experience of 2019 from what they told me. To each their own I guess. I was told that spending a lot of time and money to just get a penned in certificate at the end rubbed them the wrong way. That was their main beef. I normally shoot between 12 and 16 matches a year, (not just BPCR) and have seen a lot of differences in the way they are run. It seems that the matches that award plaques or trophies seem to have the biggest turn out, along with good prizes. I know I'll see you this year, my entry has already been sent in.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I shot my new Shiloh today - how can I not go to a place where I can shoot it everyday in four back to back matches? And I've shot in matches that Greg has run and that's the icing on the cake!
BFD

Post by BFD »

SFogler wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:05 pm I shot my new Shiloh today - how can I not go to a place where I can shoot it everyday in four back to back matches? And I've shot in matches that Greg has run and that's the icing on the cake!
Well, you could go to Lodi in May for 4 days of shooting.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Looking forward to the shootlpalooza at the Ben Avery. Lots of bang for the buck,
2 days bpcr silhouette, 2 days Creedmoor, 1 day USIMLT midrange, 1 day USIMLT Creedmoor, 1 day USIMLT team match, followed by 3 days of 1000 yard 30 round course. Lots of ammo to burn in 9 days.
Greg running the AZwins creedmoor and the 1000 yard, should make for a darn good time. I know he's working hard on good awards for the top places.
Sounds as if there is going to be good representation from shooters on the other side of the pond
What's not to like.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Dennis Wrote
I was told that spending a lot of time and money to just get a penned in certificate at the end rubbed them the wrong way. That was their main beef
Yes Dennis, I, like you, would not miss the largest Black Powder Target Rifle Match in the World and share the experience with some of the best shooters from around the globe from countries like New Zealand, Great Britain and Holland. Now there are some shooters that pay a lot to come shoot. They too come for the love of the sport and the opportunity to shoot shoulder to shoulder with top notch shooters who also share that love. Based on past experience I have to wonder if some shooters go to a match and expect to win prizes off the table or pretty trinkets to catch dust at home are not missing something in the experience. However, I also recall that (if they were paying attention) it was explained about AZWINS taking over at the last minute and that the issue of awards would be much improved in 2020. Would they have preferred the match be cancelled? Maybe they just didn't place in the standings high enough to have received an award if the awards had been substantial? Who knows? Based on past experience I would presume they are usually the first to complain and the last to volunteer to help make things better. Sort of stuck in their own mud. I guess SNOWFLAKES come in all ages and sizes too? And, as we all know, you can't please everybody. The clearly stated goal of AZWINS is to put on a quality shooting experience for the shooters that is fun to participate in. In that they certainly exceeded expectations.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

As a new black powder shooter, the Phoenix AZWINS matches last year were my first long-range matches.
I had a great time trying to learn the ropes!
It is a long way from Indiana, but I will be back for more in less than a month and a half! I paid my entry fees months ago, and have campground reservations.
Not sure if I have met you yet Greg (I am pretty bad remembering names). Looking forward to meeting you! Thanks for taking on the responsibility.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

For those complaining about the entry fees compared to the benefit consider this: It ain't free.

Two days of silhouette, two days of Creedmoor and three days of 1,000 yard World Championship for a grand total of $115.00..Don't arrive at Phoenix driving a $60,000 diesel 4x4 towing an $80,000 fifth wheel and complain about what you get for $115.00. You will get no sympathy but you will be labeled. So, don't show up this year and the rest of us will know who the never can be pleased complainers are.

If you don't want to support our American World Championship International Muzzle Loader Team by not participating in their separate three day match of midrange and long range that is your decision. But don't Pat yourself on the back when they come home with the Gold. Just go ahead and continue to vote Democrat... :P and see if maybe Iran will field a team next year. :cry:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Here is the Phoenix Winter Forecast for the upcoming week Snow Bank and Frostbite friends:

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/u ... alwx_10day
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Keep in mind that if a person attends this 9 day shootlpalooza, shoots the whole thing, it will take 310 rounds for score, plus sighters,, Need to figure on something a bit over 400 rounds total.
That's a whole lot of shooting for score :D
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

What are you bragging about?
This is something to brag about :lol: :lol:
Why, because it's January..............In Montana 8)
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USMT0015:1:US
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

In the past the USIMLT schedules in a weather day - if we shoot per schedule the weather day turns into a "team" shoot. Last year it was the muzzle loaders against the cartridge shooters at 1000 yards... just like the original Creedmoore. So factor in some extra ammo for that too.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Wow, departure day for traveling to Phoenix is rapidly approaching!

Finally have 600 beautiful 45-70 cartridges loaded and ready for the trip! (Hopefully will have a few left over to take to the Creedmoor match in Tennessee at the end of March.)
IMG_20200217_175550641.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BFD

Post by BFD »

You are going to shoot a CARTRIDGE gun at Oak Ridge???

Hopefully, you will just use those cartridges as speed loaders.

;)