powder compression

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bpcr shooter

powder compression

Post by bpcr shooter »

So I have been working on a few different calibers lately, and most shoot PP bullets. I only seat my bullets .080 or so and Im filling the case to the top, well not quite but darn close, so Im only getting like .080-.100 compression w/ a .060 wad. Is there a tool I can buy/make that slips over the case so I can put more powder in and get more compression??? Thanks Matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
James

Re: powder compression

Post by James »

You could use a sizing die. Remove every thing above the case then add a lever to operate a compression pin. Or go to a longer chamber.
There’s no horse so dead it can’t be beat a bit more.
Woody

Post by Woody »

You should have several shooters in your area that can make this for you. It's a short powder funnel that slips over the case, allows you to overfill the case and compress through the funnel and into the case. Look inside the first photo and you can see a slight ledge. This stops the funnel.
DSC00472.JPGfunnel 3.JPG
DSC00468.JPGpowder funnel 1.JPG
DSC00469.JPGpowder funnel 2.JPG
Woody
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Buffalo Arms has powder compression plugs in various calibers for Lyman and RCBS neck expansion dies:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/catalogsear ... tegory=All
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

A friend of mine made me something very similar to what woody is using. Works like a charm.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categori ... -DIE-45-EX comes with an aluminum nut that is drilled thru exactly for the purpose. I drilled out the hole to a larger diameter then supplied to make it flow even more freely. Also sold in 40cal & 38cal.
Glenn
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

thanks woody thats what I was looking for!!
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
BFD

Post by BFD »

Next time you have a barrel mounted, ask the smith to save the cutoff and chamber with the same reamer. Then create a slight funnel on the other end and you can accomplish the same thing. Make a plunger to fit.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

yeah!!! great idea, thanks!!
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Woody,

That looked like a 40-65 in the pic. How much powder are you squeezing in with that funnel set up?

Under what conditions do you feel the need to add that much BP? Brings to mind the saying "if you want 44 magnum power, buy a 44 magnum". Not being a SA, just wondering if there is real value in adding that much powder? I'm only thinking of silly-wette, I can see for LR that you might want every fps you can reliably get...

Wade
Woody

Post by Woody »

I discovered that when I breech seated the projectile and filled the case with powder and topped with a wad, the uncompressed powder would cause case stretching to the point of failure very quickly. If I compressed the powder column, the stretching ceased. Accuracy was exceptional. Just ask a scheutzen shooter. The same issue arises with paper patch shooters that seat with minimal seating depth. It just adds another depth to our game.

I have shot a silhouette match using a breech seated bullet, followed by a case full powder. Time became an issue. I could only get two to three sighter's before having to go for score. Breech seating works well within the time constraints of mid-range and long-range. I came up with the "overfill" funnel for breech seating, but it also applies to those that practice the dark art of PP.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Woody that must have been a sight to see, watching you shoot breech seated bullets at a silhouette match. You'd have to be super organised and move like greased lightning!

Chris.
Woody

Post by Woody »

You'd have to be super organised and move like greased lightning

That's why I only did it "once". It's also the reason I'm a blow tuber. The older I get, the "simpler" I want things to be. Close eyes, jerk trigger, exhale four times,(something I was going to do anyway), load, repeat. :lol:

Woody
Richard A. Wood