Sharps Model 1869 Help Required

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ken1989

Sharps Model 1869 Help Required

Post by ken1989 »

I acquired some time ago a Sharps in I believe a Model 1869 - what it says on the barrel. I am looking for someone who can tell me what I got. I am told a Sharps letter may or may not tell me much and they are not exactly inexpensive. I bought this Sharps from a man in his 80s, his memory is failing, he has no idea where he bought it or who he bought it from, only that he bought it many years ago so he could not tell me much.

From the info on the web, the Model 1869 was made between 1869 and 1872 with about 200 (?) being made. The serial numbers (C48920) on the receiver and barrel match and the serial number matches the time frame that the Model 1869 was produced. It is in 50-90 Cal, perfect bore. I suspect that the gun may have been reconditioned at some time but if it was, that was a long time ago. Other than that I do not know much about this Sharps and certainly no idea on the value. Any leads or info on what I have would be very much appreciated.

Attached is a link to some photos. https://imgur.com/a/23QKIYZ
I can post more photos if it would be helpful.
Note, IMGUR does not work well with some internet programs.

Thank you!
Tomklinger

Re: Sharps Model 1869 Help Required

Post by Tomklinger »

WOW!!! What a jem! I believe the finish is called lightning blue, Sharps used it in some special order custom sporting rifles, which yours obviously is. You should contact Dr. Richard Labowski. He has all of the Sharps records. He will tell you over the phone if he has any info. A rifle like that if it is laminate, it could be worth tens of thousands......personally I wouldn't worry too much about the price of the letter. I've been collecting Sharps rifles for many years, and I've never seen a model '69 in a custom format such as yours in that condition!
If you need Dr. Labowski's info. send me a p.m.
Tom Klinger
P.S. You could also contact the Sharps Collectors Association. They wIll have valuable collector information.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Wow...that is one pretty piece of gear there. Great cartridge too. Surely that's seen refurbishment ? Thanks for the photo link.

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

P.S.
The word was "legitimate" not laminate....stupid autospell :roll:
Tom
ken1989

Post by ken1989 »

Hello Tom; Thank you for the information, much appreciated. I added a few more photos to the link. Cheers, Ken
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Beautiful rifle. A real piece of our early history, the stories it could probably tell if able would be most interesting.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Ken, I have a friend who is a very knowledgeable owner and collector of vintage Sharps and Maynard rifles that looked your rifle pictures over last night and thinks it is a not a factory built rifle. He said the engraving was wrong for the period, the forearm shape is wrong,the holes in the side plate by hammer base are not factory either. His conclusion is that the rifle is well made but not factory.
I haven't asked if I could use his name so won't unless he gives permission but many on here would recognize him as having a good deal of knowledge about the subject.
labop

Post by labop »

I'm curious. Did someone determine the history? Whatever it is it is a pretty rifle.
labop
Longknife76

Post by Longknife76 »

If it were mine I would be getting a letter pronto!!!! Even if it has had aftermarket work it is rare and desireable Sharps. Heck I would probably have to shoot it too!!!! Well thats what it was made for!!!!! I saved all the pics , I think it has become my "dream" gun!!!!,,,Ed
ken1989

Post by ken1989 »

I have called Dr. Labowski but no answer. I have been told that Dr. Labowski does not have records below C50000, awaiting confirmation on this. Apparently there were only 50 sporting rifles made in Model 1869, so not allot of refence data out there. The feedback that I have received suggests that the gun looks original. Received a comment that the engraving is not period correct, but I have not seen any other engraved Sharps from this era to verify this comment. If the engraving was done at a later date you would think the "engraver" would have placed his trademark somewhere, but there is no evidence of this. I would like to communicate via PM, email or phone with anyone who is has information on this Sharps but would prefer to remain anonymous. Thank You.
Longknife76

Post by Longknife76 »

Ken Have you contacted these guys?
https://sharpscollector.com/
ken1989

Post by ken1989 »

Longknife76 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:59 am Ken Have you contacted these guys?
I did contact this group about two weeks ago, received an auto reply, but nothing since. Covid likely impacting lots of things these days.
Will try contacting them again.
ken1989

Post by ken1989 »

Longknife76 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:59 am Ken Have you contacted these guys?
I did contact this group about two weeks ago, received an auto reply, but nothing since. Covid likely impacting lots of things these days.
Will try contacting them again.