gun powder delivery to door

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

gun powder delivery to door

Post by mdeland »

I wonder if I can get the local gun shop to deliver me a pound of 4759 for some .303 load development? I consider that a necessity just as much as pizza deliveries! :lol: Just call and say your on the way and leave it by the rose hip bush at the shop door! I'll leave a Clorox wipe hanging on the rose bush for the delivery man as a tip. :lol: If he's really fast maybe a sheet or two of TP! Tisk Tisk
beltfed

Re: gun powder delivery to door

Post by beltfed »

WHAT???
your local shop actually has a pound of 4759??????
beltfed/arnie
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I don't know Arnie, I am about out of a can of 4759 I have in the locker and wanted to try it with a new gas check bullet I cast up recently. I loaded some last night with 18 grains of 2400 which is another recommended accuracy load. Is it 4759 that they have stopped making ?
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

stopped????? been gone for yrs!!! thought they stopped making SR powders back in 2014??
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I knew they had stopped making some kind of good cast bullet powder but as I don't often use it I didn't remember which. I use a lot of H-110 for the Martini's and revolvers. Oddly the 43 Spanish shoots really well with 10 grains of Unique, another powder I have not used much.
Guess I'll try some 3031 in the .303 as that is another good cast bullet smokeless powder.
4759 was IMR powder.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Mike, other useful sm'less powder for your 303 with cast bullets
are IMR 4227. , alliant Reloader 7 ( Re7) . that Unique you mentioned is
great for light CB loads.
OH, and one of the best bullets to try for your 303 would be Lyman 314299.
beltfed/arnie
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks , I have all those powders on hand.
Woody

Post by Woody »

SR 4759 was one of the first powders I ever used. Love it for low pressure smokeless obsolete loads. :D Then back in the 70's they stopped production. :x I had run out and moved on to other powders when low and behold sometime in the early 2000's they brought it back. :D Of course I fell for the hook and started using it again only to be left high and dry again. :( I'm down to about 2 lbs and don't see myself falling for it again. :wink:

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I think that is the stick powder I see all over the snow in front of the range tables. Some of the guys still have a supply and use it at our clang and bang lead bullet matches. Doesn't look like some of it burns when the mercury drops down low.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I use 5744 in my 45-70 pistol and with the 405 it works great out to 150yds...haven't really played with it in a rifle much
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

was told at one time you can load Unique down to the point that the bullet will not leave the barrel??? I use a ton of it in my 41mag/10mm for nice plinking loads
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
TAA

Post by TAA »

Back when it was in production, WW 680 worked well in the .41 Mag. But 4227 was probably better.

Over on the ASSRA forum, some good results were had with 300MP powder in .38-55. A local shooter says it works good in his .308 Winch. But these are the only two references I've seen to this powder. Anyone here using it?

Tom
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I like and use Reloader 7 at ten percent for the kicker charge in my duplex loads. In the 45-70 ,6grains of Reloader 7 and 55-60 grains of 1.5
Swiss or 2F Goex makes are very good load, especially for cold weather use. I can shoot an entire 40 round match without ever having to clean the barrel with no loss of accuracy. So if one likes the smell, sound and look of black powder but could live without the fouling then duplex loading should be given a fair trial.
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

I have a 5# can of SR 4759 if someone wants it. It's been opened but I haven't used much of it and have no need of it at this point.
Just have to figure out shipping cost.
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

As stated earlier I use a lot of H-110 but WW 296 is almost exactly the same in performance. I like and use WW 231 in the 45 ACP Colt with the Lyman 200grain heeled bullets with good results. The ball powder really meters well in the my progressive loader. Never cared for Unique in pistols though as it leaves a lot of residue in the barrel and being flake powder does not meter as well as ball although it does seem to be accurate. I was astonished how well ten grains worked under my new 400 grain plain base .43 Spanish bullet though. Probably would be even better if I could remember to elevate the muzzle before each shot to settle the charge in the rear of the case.